1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIJ Jazz Special wiring question....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Alreadysweaty, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Alreadysweaty

Alreadysweaty

Apr 9, 2009
    As many are now aware, I am the proud owner of a MIJ Jazz special. I've decided that this will be an excellent candidate for a complete refurb. My first question is regarding the pickup switching. My on/on/on toggle is shot and it's been a real pain finding a suitable replacement. Could I just remove the switch (fill hole before repaint) and run the pickups on the volume knobs only? It seems like a simple enough solution and the only loss being quick pickup selection. Does this make sense? TIA... AS

2. Alreadysweaty

Alreadysweaty

Apr 9, 2009
    Maybe it would be better to ask why it might be a bad idea. Keep in mind I'm new to bass, not to guitar...

3. Try a Les Paul style toggle switch as a replacement. I fitted one to my MIJ Power Jazz Special and it was a perfect match.

4. Whats wrong with the switch? Could it be fixed by spraying some contact cleaner/tuner lube in there or does it absolutely need to be replaced?

5. Alreadysweaty

Alreadysweaty

Apr 9, 2009
    Most of the time it will not stay clicked all the way towards the bridge (P pickup only position if I remember right). A slight bump or sometimes just riding E will make it click back up to center. I already tried contact cleaner but thanks for the tip. The thought of a "cleaner" look without the pickup switch is appealing to me, but I think if the Les Paul switch works I'll probably go that route. Thanks again

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi AS.

According to the downloadable Jazz BassĀ® Special (Japan, 1987) manual, your bass employs passive circuitry.

It's likely that it uses a standard type of pickup selector switch.

Please post pics of your bass and its defective switch so that someone here can direct you to a source for a replacement part.

7. Alreadysweaty

Alreadysweaty

Apr 9, 2009
    Ho boy, I looked for a link to a manual for days and don't know how I missed that. Thanks! Will post pic tomorrow...

8. Alreadysweaty

Alreadysweaty

Apr 9, 2009
    Here's the pics of the current switch. I ordered a les paul switch last night (black switch/black hardware). It should look nice. Also ordered a TBX tone pot. This sould be a fun project...

Attached Files:

9. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Please let us know how the new switch and TBX tone control works out.

10. Hey!!! Mines the same color as yours. I've never been able to find out what Fender called that. I really love the bass though.

11. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It was a really crappy switch. Fortunately, you can replace it with almost any good 3-way toggle switch. Peavey makes (or did when I was in retail) a good switch that worked well in my JBS before I got rid of the switch entirely. Being a long-time Precision and StingRay guy, I really like having only one volume control so a V/B/T worked for me.

jte

12. Alreadysweaty

Alreadysweaty

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes, I saw a pic of yours on the sticker thread. I really like the body and neck color combination. I had it up for sale on EBAY (a MIJ J special with a very similar serial went for over $800 a few weeks ago and another yesterday for $600+) until I did some poking and prodding on it and realized that it wasn't hardly fit to part out so I pulled the auciton early. I would really like to find out the name of the color also and I'm thinking I might have to go to an auto shop to try to match it after I've sanded/repaired the body?

Attached Files:

13. Alreadysweaty

Alreadysweaty

Apr 9, 2009
    Installed new switch and TBX pot, new strings and all sounds good and was an easy fix. However, I don't have time to take on a re-furb project or hardly even play it so off to ebay she goes. Thanks to those that helped.

14. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    That's Fender's MIJ Candy Apple Red!!! My fretless started life off that way.

John