MIJ Jazzes - Geddy Lee/Ishibashi/Ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbloke, Apr 2, 2004.

1. bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    I have a couple of 5 strings but just sold my only 4 (a Wal). I'd like to replace it with a retro-look Jazz. I'm wary about Fender quality control - I need a light bass that will take a low action without bad fret buzz or dead spots.

After a bit of research I'm swithering between:

Geddy Lee. I'm in the UK so I guess this would cost around £570. I've heard great things about this bass. Downside - I don't like the looks/image of the bass much - I'm not a fan of black.

MIJ '62 reissue: If I ordered this from Ishibashi I think it'd come in a little cheaper than the GL (say £500) and I could tailor the looks to taste. A vintage white with tortoiseshell appeals. But how would the quality of the bass compare with the Geddy Lee?

MIJ Jazz from Ebay. These pop up from time to time on UK Ebay and my guess is I could get one for around £300. They generally get a good press but I gather the quality of the exports are not as good as the ones made for the Japanese market (so the Ishibashi ones should be better quality?).
    Also does anyone know whether the MIJ Jazzes got better or worse over time? Would an '86 be better than a '95 or vice versa?

I'd welcome any thoughts.
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    As a proud owner of a MIJ Jazz from Ishibashi I can tell you that the quality is quite good. I find that the quality is similar to the Geddy, however the neck is a bit more substantial. Ishibashi will sell you what ever pickguard you want but you have to put it on yourself. The one I ordered is black with a 3-ply black guard. Plays great and is very solid.