Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mij or USA?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by _alex_, Aug 21, 2004.

1. _alex_

_alex_

Feb 29, 2004
    Old Europe:)
    hi there,

wich fender basses are best?i really like the mij models :cool:
    i read somewhere that there isnt USA models just Taiwan or Malasia that they just put the logo made in***** :crying:
    is it true?
    whats the difference beetween them?if there is any :eyebrow:

thanks

2. Watch out, people might get offended.

:rolleyes:

Anyway the difference is that the USA models...are made in the USA, more expensive, use more quality parts and IMO are easier to play.

3. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

I think you find that most people may suggest that its up to the player, I happen to like both ;)

I must tell you also, that you may catch a little hell for using the word japs in your post, not that you have meant to be mean or anything, but there was a post a while back dealing with the use of this word, and out of respect, I believe the members all agreeded not to use it. :) I think it just has the potential to open up doors to things that should not be this forum by others who may not be has honest with their intents as you may be. :cool:

4. _alex_

_alex_

Feb 29, 2004
    i dont want to offend anyone :bawl: just to know some opinions ;)

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Well just as long as nobody calls me "white"... My skin color sure as hell doesn't match this piece of paper sitting right here on my desk... :spit: :p

6. Here in America we enjoy getting offended by anything. And by enjoy, I mean start fights online.

I'm just trying to save you a LOT of incoming flaming, so try to edit your posts to "japanese" so that no one gets upset.

But I can understand since your from europe how it probably isn't as bad over there, but...you know. Just a heads up.

7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    This may get a bit off topic and I'm *NOT* saying that Fender does any of these things (I'm sure there are people who know a LOT more about specific Fender manufacturing practices) but I doubt any medium to large sized *RESPECTABLE* manufacturer would do this. The government has VERY strict rules regarding "Made in the USA" label. If a company were to do what you've heard of (and if you've heard it you could be pretty sure that the governing body has heard it too) they would likely be investigated and have to prove where the products were manufactured an by whom, and if they were found to be faking it there would be penaltys such as fines and restitution to customers. That's not to say that "Made in USA" means it went from a tree to an instrument in Topeka Kansas. They can use parts manufactured anywhere and assembled here in the use (I think the Highway series falls into this category). There are many "US Held Teretories" which are basically small islands and such that are not states but are technically owned by the United States (think US Virgin Islands / Puerto Rico / etc.) where US labor and minimum wage laws do not apply but do qualify as locations where manufacturing is "Mad in USA". This was where Kathy Lee Gifford got bad press for her clothing line made by kids getting paid $3 a day to make and carying the "Made in USA" label. It is also how WalMart can carry so much "Made in USA" product at such low prices, many of their store brands are made in US held territories and if you were to go to Canada you would see the EXACT same product made in the EXACT same place, without the "Made in USA" tag, which has no value to Canadian consumers. Automobiles have a % content requirement (I don't know the exact #%) where for example 75% of the parts used to make the car must be US Manufactured in order for the car to be "Made in USA". It can get even trickier here since the radio can be assembled in the USA (or Territories) from parts made anywhere which makes the radio 100% "Made in USA" for the car even tho it may have no US Made parts in it.

So to recap and bring back to topic, I doubt Fender puts a "Made in USA" label on anything that doesn't meet the requirements, but the label might not mean what you assume it to. I don't know, but Taiwan and Malasia may qualify as US Held Territories. I would also doubt there to be too much difference on an instrument made on a CNC machine in southern California by unskilled labor and one made on a CNC machine 100 miles south in Mexico made by unskilled labor, all other things being equal. So the only advantage to the "Made in USA" instruments would be in materials used which would be more of a business decision than a manufacturing location. If Fender can get $500 more per unit for a "Made in USA" they might be more willing to spend $100 more per unit on better materials and parts.

8. Neither Taiwan nor Malaysia (nor Indonesia, which is better known for making instruments) are US-held. It is possible that some USA Fenders have parts made abroad (Mexico for example), and are finished and assembled in the USA. I don't know any of this for sure, but I know some companies have done this.

In the guitar world, the Japanese Fenders are held in very high regard (particularly those from the 80s) and are considered a bargain by many folks who know "the secret". I have a Japanese Strat from the 80s, fitted some USA Custom Shop pickups to it, and it is one of the most delightful guitars I have played, not to mention that it was an inexpensive project. I'd say they are certainly worth taking a look at, and if you prefer the USA Fenders, I have no objection to your opinion.

9. If you really like the MIJ/CIJ models more than the MIA ones, they're the best ones for you. It's as simple as that. Workers in both countries are quite able to make brilliant instruments.

10. _alex_

_alex_

Feb 29, 2004
    well sorry for the "word" :rolleyes: i really dont know why it cant be used...
    also they edit my post with mij word...
    please anyone Pm me with the reasons why it cant be used(just curious) :meh:

when i said that i like the mij models is that because i think fender dont make a Usa marcus miller bass or a Geddy lee jazz bass :rolleyes:

thanks all

11. _alex_

_alex_

Feb 29, 2004
    well i´ve been explained why!
    sorry all to i might offended it was not my intention :crying:
    i was just using it like an abreviation :meh:
    thanks all the Pm´s

sorry again :ninja:

alex

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no problem _alex_. that's what we're here for :)

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I do believe it's the other way around, as far as Mexico/USA... I read that the Baja factory is capable of but has not begun production of necks, which are in fact made in California and shipped south of the border.

However, I think the CIJ models are completely made overseas in Japan. The only one I've played was smooth as silk, and I've played better or worse American instruments. The location of the instrument's birth doesn't determine sound, but rather the cost and construction of the instrument's components. Some USA's use Hipshot tuners, I don't believe any CIJ instruments do.

Long story short, there is no best Fender, they're all hit or miss.