1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIJ P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tiemyshoe, Feb 20, 2001.

1. Tiemyshoe

Tiemyshoe

Feb 5, 2001
    hey, i juss wanted to know how much better the mij's are to the mim's. Also does it look the same? Please give me some websites where i can buy new mij's for under $400. Does sam ash carry mij's?

2. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    I hope you realize that "MIJ" is a derogatory term.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't think that Fender makes A MIJ P bass any more. I know they make some signature series J-basses (Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller) but don't think they've made a P-bass there in a while. MIM P-basses are very well made & play very well. You could get a new one for around $300. You could look on eBay for an older MIJ, but the sellers think they have something special & inflate the price cause they're not made anymore. JMO.

4. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Thanks for changing the thread title. :D

5. holderman

holderman

May 25, 2000
    Fender still makes P-basses in Japan, but you'd have to order them directly from there.

6. ;)

You may want to try to find a used MIJ. My limited experience with MIJ vs. MIM is that the MIJ's are better. That was just with Jazz basses though. I have a MIJ 75 reissue, and it's wonderful. I'm sure you could find some excellent P's out there on the used market.