Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIJ ReIssues P-Bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gustat, Sep 18, 2000.

1. gustat

gustat

Apr 11, 2000
    Has anyone had any experience with the MIJ 60's ReIssue PBasses? (Manuf. early 90's)

2. Don't know much about the early 90s ones, but I've got an 88 or 89 MIJ 57 reissue. I like it a lot! It's been modified with a Rio Grande vintage series pickup and it sounds terrific.
    funkyc

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have a mid-80's MIJ that is a "60's reissue," that is, it is built in the general style of 1960's instruments, without reference to a specific year. Supposedly they started out being high quality, and the quality degenerated as time went by, but I don't really know, since I haven't handled many. Mine had a crummy pickup, which I've heard is common on the MIJ's. I replaced it with a Basslines pickup which is pretty nice. Most of them have basswood bodies, and mine has a fairly pronounced dead spot around the fifth fret on the G string. All in all, though, mine is a pretty good bass. Tight neck pocket, good truss rod, nice tuners, good sound.

4. MAX POWER! I like the Simpsons reference....