1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIJ vs MIA Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by logans59, Aug 20, 2012.

1. logans59

logans59

Jul 1, 2012
    Kennesaw, GA
    I have a MIJ Fender Aerodyne P-bass and I have been debating selling it to upgrade to an American Standard P-bass.I was wondering if there is that much of a difference in the feel/sound/quality.

2. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    The only real difference is going to be the hardware and neck. The bridge is more solid and the tuners are Hipshot ultralites vs a stock fender bridge and tuners. The Aerodyne has an unreinforced (minus the truss rod) Jazz profile neck (1.5" nut width) and the American Standard has the 1.625" nut with graphite reinforcements. The A.S' electronics sound a little fuller and rounder, but that's it.

Dont't get me wrong, everything on the Aerodyne works, and the P/J setup is killer, but the American Standard will be more solid.

Sound is subjective, so I'll leave if at that

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    +1

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. I really like the MIJ necks. The finish is usually excellent, the fretwork is great and the contour of the fretboard radius (7 1/2") is more to my liking. The Aerodyne is a great bass IMHO.
    Rocky