1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIK-MIA Comparison

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, May 1, 2010.

1. If one were to take a P or a J from Korea, strip it down and add all the MIA parts except the body and neck - could it be heard as different in any/many ways?

What I'm asking is:: are there any real differences in sound/playability/niceness if the cheaper bass had all the same parts that were actually interchangeable with the more expensive out-of-the-box MIA bass?

Without calling out the 'better wood' - ' aesthetics' - 'it costs more/must be better' logic - can anyone really tell much in playing in the dark or wearing a blindfold? :ninja:

They both have frets, strings, pups, knobs, big fat heads, pick guards and weigh the same - right?

Someone said I didn't really have a P-bass since I own a P-Squire and that it's not the same (I have other basses too). After the small mods and decent set-up I make to my P-Squire, then what's the big difference?

I just wonder if I'm fooling myself thinking I really like my MIK P-Squire or not - I mean it feels good as a Fender should, makes me sound good, and sings as I like it now (deep and thumpy) - so why is it not as good?

Still agonizing over changing out the white pickguard to tortoise though.

Is it Fender verses Fender class discrimination or snootiness? :bag:

<edit> Mean people need not reply.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Aside from electronics, the biggest difference is in quality control and detail work. For example the frets on an MIA will typically be dressed better. Also for transparent and burst finishes, the MIA will have wood that looks continuous like a single piece, while the MIK may have obviously-different boards side by side. And some people say the wood makes a difference to the tone, and the woods will not be of the same grade or origin or dryness between the two manufacturers.