1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIK Squier II- need info

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ss81, Apr 19, 2006.

1. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    Does anybody know anything about the Squier II line of guitars and basses that were issued a few years back? I was poking around in a local shop today and came across a Squier II precision bass, and I was pretty impressed with the feel of it. It's made in korea, and it had a nicer neck than any of the MIM precisions I've ever played (maple with maple fretboard, very similar profile/radius to a '62 reissue precision that was also in the shop), felt similar to a japanese fender in terms of finish and quality. It's only $190, so I was thinking of buying it and putting the neck on my p-bass, but I noticed that the body was a little bit smaller and thinner than the others and the bass as a whole was a tad shorter, so it doesn't look like the neck is the same exact scale. Still, pretty impressive for the price.

2. haha, afraid of getting the response "oh, your playing a Squier" from fellow musicians?? LOL if it sounds good, run with it. doesnt sound like the neck is gonna be a very good fit for any other bass either....if worse comes to worse shave off/cover up the squier label, and rock it. maybe even replace the pups

3. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    Oh no, I definitely don't care about the brand name on the headstock- my main gigging guitar is a MIJ Squier jagmaster. I'm telling you, I've been a sucker lately for MIJ guitars and basses, particularly underrated (=inexpensive) vintage MIJ's. What struck me about this bass is that I haven't heard great things about the quality control on korean guitars, but the neck on this bass is just as good as any MIJ guitar I've played. I'm just a bit skeptical about the body wood used, and the fact that there's significantly less mass than other models.

4. I have several Korean made basses and guitars including several Squiers. Some are really great and some are not so great.

The Squier II series guitars have a really poor reputation that is IMO partially justified. They tend to have cheaper tuners and electronics than other Squier instruments. Also most, if not all, Squier II instruments have plywood bodies.

My Squier II strat is plywood bodied. I can tell from a huge ding and by looking in the control cavity. It does have cheaper tuners and electronics than my other Squier MIK and MIJ instruments. The places where the guitar shines for me are the neck, which I love, and the more aggressively contoured body. The body is back routed, slimmer and more contoured which just feels good to me. Also the finish is very thick and hard - I have stepped on that body several times by accident with hiking boots and was able to buff all of the black marks off without damage - yes it is my total beater but I doubt I could ever part with it.

YMMV - best of luck,
    S

5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I recently bought a Korean Squier II P bass with a beautiful all maple neck. The body is a little weird, being a Tele-style slab with no pickguard and finished in pearl white. It sounded great, so of course I stuck a Basslines Quarter Pound in it, and now it sounds REALLY great! $130 + used Fender molded case at the local music store, + the Basslilnes pickup, and I have a P bass at last.

I don't know about the composition of the body: inside the cover plate on the back and under the pickups it looks like solid wood. I am toying with the idea of a Warmoth body because the neck is so nice, but it is fine for gigging as it is. Round, deep sound, even with roundwounds (what the store put on it -- they got it in a box, without strings). I may put some flatwounds on it, but not because it sounds bad as is. The tuners are "licensed by Schaller" and work fine.

Here's a link to a photo:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lpdeluxe@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/7642&.dnm=5eed.jpg&.src=ph

6. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    Thanks for the info, guys. I figured the catch was probably a plywood body. Cheap electronics don't really bother me because they're easily replaceable, but the body is a pretty big issue, especially if the dimensions aren't standard. I guess that renders the neck useless with a fender or warmoth replacement body, and it also makes it a lot less likely that I could find a replacement for the cheap-looking 1-ply white pickguard that would fit.

Oh well, I suppose there are better beater p-basses for the money.

7. AFAIK my Squier II guit uses pretty standard dimensions. The neck is the same as all my strats. The bridge may be a little narrower that the vintage Fender, as are almost all Asian import strats. I'm pretty sure that the neck pocket, pickup positions and bridge position are all standard. The difference I was referring to in the body is that the body is a little slimmer front to back and also does not have a pick guard which makes the whole thing feel slimmer. The contouring of the belly cut and the upper bout is more pronunced than my other strats but I'm willing to bet cash that all the parts will interchange.

YMMV on the particular bass you are looking at but I would not automatically conclude that every dimension is non-standard.

Peace,
    S

8. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    Thanks again for the info, TheSuzie. I actually put the Squier next to a Fender precision and was able to see that the Squier as a whole was an inch or so shorter than the Fender. I could tell the body was definitely thinner and shorter on the Squier, and it's likely that this affects the scale length.

Don't a lot of Japanese guitars generally use metric-based scale lengths (unlike guitars manufactured in North America)?

9. Never seen a metric scale length on a Fender/Squier product but I have seen metric string spacings at the bridge on guitars - but the bridges were still interchangable as long as they were not strung through the body. Easy enough to measure the scale length (nut to saddle or even better nut to 12th fret X2) and also to measure the distance from nut to the neck heel and the heel dimensions (including height) on each bass. Remember that tiny differences in scale can sometimes be handled by bridge adjustments, but yes bigger differences are a problem as you noted.

May not be worth the trouble to you but if you do happen to measure, I would be interested to hear what the scale is. BTW - I would try to knock that price down if I was really interested.

Good Luck,
    S