1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIK Squier P bass recording review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowendgenerator, Mar 3, 2008.

1. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Tonight we started tracking bass at Studio Destructive, and I had my whole aresenal with me. Deluxe Jazz, P/MM P bass, and my $50 Squier P bass. I recorded from my SABDDI pretty much flat with some drive and blend at 2:00, straight into the board.

The MM/P and Deluxe Jazz were cool. They did exactly what I thought they would do, but when I plugged that cheap MIK plywood bodied P bass, it hit me like a ton of bricks. You couldn't wipe the smile off my face with an angle grinder! It had all of the right nuances I was looking for. The bright ping of the SS Lo Riders, the grunt of the P pup, and the slightest hint of SABDDI, it was pure rock n roll! I'm almost afraid to fix the scratchy pots, crap jack or microphonic pickup, I don't want to lose this tone!

I can't believe that I picked this up for $50 on craigslist. Here's an old pic, taken the day I brought it home.

PA270007.

And you know what else? The logo stays....

PA270020.

2. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I also rock out a MIK Squier but even better a Squier II

ahaha its rough, the pickup is noisy and microphonic as well.. Plywood and ugly..

But it kills with some Labella Flats on her..

Any chance we can hear the recording?

3. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I'll put together a little demo for the TB community at our next session, week from today.

I need to find more of these little gems.

4. Seriously!

I have a MIK sqiuer that I just gutted and put and audere in and I LOVE it! The playability and sound plywood and all. I also just got a MII (indonesia) P/J special (J neck P body) and I love it with a set of flats. I spent $350 on new electronics for the first one and I think I might like the sound of my free P/J just as much if not more!

Love rockin the squier P's!!

CB

5. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Anyone still interested in clips? I have 3 rough cuts that I can cut snippets from..

6. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I love the sound of stock Squire P basses with roundwound strings.

7. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    is this where my Quarter Pounder is going to :)

Post the clips..

8. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Actually, the QP is going into the MM/P bass.

I've got an EMG coming for this bass.

Clips are coming.

9. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
  10. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Damn you guys sound tight... When I first heard the guitars the first thing that always goes thru my head is "I bet this singer sucks" needless to say I was pleasently surprised and will be waiting for my copy of the full CD.. Even if I have to buy it..

I DIG IT.

11. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Thanks man! That means a lot, fer real. I'll shoot you a comp copy when we get them pressed.

Please keep in mind this is all very minimally mixed, it will sound much better once I get my rump in the captain's chair.

12. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    +1 man, both the band and your tone.;)

13. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I listened to those song clips, your band sounds great and that Squire P sounds the way I like a P bass to sound.

14. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Nice sounding clips, and that old Squier is sweet. :)