Mike Anthony

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JWC, Mar 19, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I was listening to the live Van Halen the other day and man oh man can Anthony get down. You listen to his bass solo. He's got the jack!
  2. I suspect there's some heavy sarcasm in that post, but I actually like the first half of Mike Anthony's "Ultrabass" solo on the Right here right Now album- the bits with delay, and then flanger BEFORE the total-waste-of-time-fuzz-rolling-about bit.
  3. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    you're not serious are you?
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Michael Anthony? Hmmm...I think you're a bit suspect...
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Mike's competent, but not stunning. If you ask me, VH's Achilles' heel is Alex. He drags like no other drummer I've heard.
  6. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    drags? what? as much as i loathe VH, alex is an awesome drummer, albeit a bit deaf now.

oh well
  7. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    mike is only there because he grew up with ed&al,
    from my understanding ed taught him how to play
    bass because ed liked his singing with is better than his playing.to me mike is the luckiest bassist
    alive, my 8 yr old little girl can play jump but struggle's with Mary had a little lamb go figure.
  8. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I think everyone gives this guy a bad rap for being competent and steady, just because he's sitting behind EVH. Kind of the same rap Noel Redding gets behind Hendrix. Just because they don't jump out at you (and behind that kind of guitar, maybe that's what was requested), everyone slams them. Then, people turn around and talk of the beautiful simplicity of players like Adam Clayton or Cliff Williams. Come on folks, make up your minds! :D
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I think you've mentioned a good point! I don't think he's all that competent, but maybe it's something that he's not allowed to show off.

A few years ago, when he was interviewed by Bass Player Magazine, he bragged about how hard "Pound Cake" is to play, and that there are few bassists out there who could play a solid 16th note groove throughout the entire song.

That comment he made blew me away! I mean, how much self-promotion can you do as an artist? I personally think he's way, WAY wrong! Perhaps 1 or 2, or even 3-year players can't hold that groove as often, but anyone who practices that groove can eventually nail it! It's not like he's god's gift to bass playing! Just some guy who plays simple bass lines and is amazed at how good he is...and, to enhance that feeling, he needs to remind everybody ELSE just how good he is!

I'd take Adam Clayton or Noel Redding over Michael Anthony ANYDAY!;) At least their bass lines have some creativity!
  10. Mike Anthony's playing is actually pretty good (and dare i say "melodic"?) IMHO on "Beautiful Girls", "Dance the night away" and "Push come to shove".

re. that Bass Player interview with Anthony, he wasn't really bragging as such;

"I don't get to flash as much as I'd like to, but I'd say to musicians who are critical, "let me see you lay down a groove like seventh seal or poundcake". to me that's harder than getting up there and soloing "

as for Adam Clayton, I like "gloria" and "2 hearts beat as one" but I can't believe the same person played the bass on "bad"- it sounds like he was hearing the song for the first time when they recorded it. the same on "all I want is you" -sloppy with poor note choices.
    Mike Anthony and Cliff Williams are better bass players than Adam Clayton (IMHO, of course:)).
  11. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    no,no,no mike had the nerves to say he was better than stanley clarke,some fan's of his told him that his jack daniel's solo bass was better than stanley's
    playing who thay saw the day before so he's like uhhh okay yea i'm the man.in some cases less is more or k.i.s.s...but come on now.
  12. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I would bet that Eddie played bass on Beautiful Girls and any other VH song with cool basslines. His basslines have no melody, creativity, or anything at all. He just pumps out root notes, and usually whole notes at that sometimes. What a joke. Yes, my post was sarcastic.
  13. as for EVH playing any of the decent basslines, I think considering the amount Dave lee Roth slagged off Van Halen in his autobiography, he'd have said that too. he says that the guitar, bass and drums were cut live on the early albums.
  14. ps. I see Yamaha have brought out a Mike Anthony signature bass...so am I right in thinking you guys won't be buying one?
  15. kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    I have to say Van Halen are one of my favourite bands. I find it strange that Mike gets such a slagging for being a basic root note player. He is just doing what the songs demanded and doing it well. People might think that his "solo" is better than Stanley Clarke but they are obviously rock fans and not into the Stanley thang. Personally I like them both but to slag someone off for playing basic good old rock, shows a very blinkered attitude perhaps as blinkered as the guys who think MA is better SC. Also he and Eddie can sing a bit.
  16. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    kcm my point is mike was like yea I guess I am better than Stanley just like I'll run circle's around Marcus miller.lol.but mike get's the job done right.
    OOOTAY.kcm do you remember night ranger?if you do you know what I'm talking,I'm a musician PERIOD.funk,rock,RAP,jazz,I'm music.again I'm not bashing mike but he has know reason to have a ego.
  17. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I like Michael Anthony, granted he's not the flashiest of bass players, but he is without a doubt one of the tightest. He has a great sound and does a good job for Van Halen. I also think that he knows more and is better than what we hear on the Van Halen Cd's.
  18. I think it's still possible to stand out in a band with a master guitarist. Billy Cox, Hendrix's bassplayer towards the end of his life, has quite a few lines which really grab me.
  19. I never thought Michael Anthony sucked. He's just a solid, basic player. I think he understands what his role in Van Halen is and he doesn't step outside of that role. Cliff Williams is a similar player (as gweimer noted). They have both been in the big leagues for a long time so they are doing something right. Not overplaying CAN be a positive thing.