Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike as a drummer part II

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    OK, I've made a deal with my mom, if I do varsity percussion next semester, she will get me a drum set. Score.

Anyways... I'm looking at this set...

Teh Setz0r

MF usually has that as a $600 set, and it is just on sale for the holidays... That is the best set I can find in the price range I have, (I want to stay under $400).

Will that set be good to learn on and all that good stuff?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    From my drummer , ive learned that you dont want to skimp on your basic kit. The shells need to be of decent/good quality. You can change everyhting else (heads, cymbals..) but not the shells, unless you are going to buy a whole new kit (waste of money) My drummers kit is based on the Pearl Forum Fusion kit. He got it for $630. He has since added a 16'' floor tom, and ditched the starter cymbals. He got Remo heads for everything. Double bass pedal, 18'' Sabian AAexplosion Crash, some other sabian 16'' crash, Zildjian hi hats, sabian 20'' ride, and Wuhan China and Splash.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Remember when you are buying a kit that a drummer is in a unique musical position in that he is the only musician who's sole job is to destroy their instrument. Seriously. You are going to be bashing on this thing alot, so don't get anything with cheesy hardware. Make sure it's robust.

I've found it helps to get a kit with even tom sizes. 10", 12", 14" is cool, because you have a two inch interval between each one, and it's easier to tune them to each other. 12", 13", 16" kits are a bit tougher to make sound good.

Get good cymbals. Not Percussion Plus.

4. good cymbals are a fortune, though, so I'd say the same as figjam - get good shells, the rest can be upgraded later.

5. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm going to have to refute that one. I think you can make just about any drum sound good with proper tuning and good heads, no matter how the shells are made. Cymbals you can't improve on no matter what.

Paiste Dimensions cymbals are really good for the money, as are the Sabian B8 Pro's. The Zildjian ZBTs aren't really good, methinks.

6. j_sun23

j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA
    I think you could find a much better set than that pulse kit for $400 or so. I mean, it might mean going a little over budget (or it might not) but I guarantee you it'd be worth it. That's if you think you're serious about playing drums.

I play bass but I'd wanted to play drums as well for years. I finally decided to do it, and I got a yamaha hip-gig Manu Katche' Jr. kit. That's a $700 kit, with probably $200 worth of extras for $405+shipping off ebay. You could do just as good if you're patient and persistent.

And if ebay is not an option, seriously, you should be able to find a better kit than that pulse kit for under $400. If you have to get a kit that comes with less stuff, but it's better quality, I'd say do it. If you look on Musicians Friend, and you up your budget $100, You'd find there's a lot more choices.

Anyways, you'll know what's best for you. Just my two cents.

Here's some pics of my sweet kit.....:D

7. j_sun23

j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA
    and another....

8. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    As a drummer formost, I will honestly tell you that the kit you are looking at blows. Sorry man, but it's the truth. Go for something that is a name brand, the seem more trustworthy and less shady, also it leaves the opportunity to add on drums if you wish. The Tama Stagestar got some very good reviews in Modern Drummer, and it's a fairly cheap kit. The sizes on it are fusion sized (10, 12, 14), so it is more versatile that just a basic rock setup (12, 13, 16). The reason it is being marketed as a child's kit is because of the smaller sizes, so ignore that garbage. The only complaints that I have heard of is that:
    1. The cymbals that it comes with are garbage, but that can be expected from drum companies making cymbals (Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, etc.) Replace those with something like Sabian B8s (IMO) are you'll be fine.
    2. The snare is kinda crappy. Not too much to do about this execpt replace the heads, and perhaps the snares.

Basstriaxis, I think I will have to disagree with you there. Even with good heads/tuning, it is very hard to get no-name low-end kits to sound good. A lot of them have shotty bearing edges, so no matter what you do there is still a very good chance that the kit will sound bad. If he goes with a name brand (Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Sonor) there is a chance that if the kit he recieves had bad edges, the company will simply fix it. Pulse would/could not do that.

So ya, that it my reccomendation, but do what you will and have fun!

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Sorry, that's what I meant. Even the lowest level Tama will be better than a Percussion plus or a Rockwood. Sonor is making some great beginner sets as well, by the way.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

As person who has spent a lot of time trying to get drums in tune for recording purposes, I agree that the higher quality and price frquently, note I did say MOST OF THE TIME, translate into better sound.