Mike Browne Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dhuffguitars, Sep 4, 2003.

1. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
  2. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Unique, I dig on the design.

He is obviously from the Carl Thompson school of bass building. As stated in his info section.
  3. Very definitely a Carl Thompson influence, and I like it. If I was going to have someone as an influence, he'd be my man.

Josh D
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Woodwork and woods look great.

I personally don't like this type of design, it's too busy with cutouts and many different curves and shapes. I like cleaner lines. But that's just my taste.

Hmm, rust. His website must be really old. :)
  5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    he was a student of carls..so it makes since that he has somethings..

6. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Interesting stuff -- I like the design except for that cutout on the upper horn. I wonder if he's flexible about that kind of thing...

I have relatives up in Hopewell Junction.....gears are turning....:D
  7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Very interesting. Kind of busy to me also. Looks like a lot of work goes into it.

That glowing part at the lower left is scaring me, though.

Friend of yours, Darrin?
  8. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    I would call him a friend for sure. I have never met him, but we do share lots of ideas and help each other out.
    He is going out on his own after working for Carl, and I think his work is great. I will admit that his basses are a little busy for me as well, and he is working on a more traditional bass.
    This guy is going to go far and I am happy to help him any way possible.

9. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    What a cool website! It's different and totally unique.
    I can't wait to see more finished instruments.
  10. BrowneBasses

BrowneBasses Bass Builder

Sep 4, 2003
    Sparrow Bush, NY
    Hey my first post! Yay

Thanks Darrin, and everyone for your input and for stopping by my site. I do get that quite a bit, that my design is a bit busy but I figured hey first design I'll go a little crazy with it, haha. I am though working on a couple other designs that are smoother and more conservative; I'll be posting drawings of them on my site in the next few weeks.

-Mike Browne
  11. i love the two basses u have on ur site. to bad iam poor.
  12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    wicked design... very CT inspired. I'd love to see a finished bass or 2.
  13. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    Very cool and unique.
    Glad to see more luthiers here on TB

14. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm starting to think that Carl will soon go down as one of the greatest teachers the bass community has ever experienced, as it looks like his influence as a mentor is starting to eclipse his reputation as a luthier!!! :D Very nice work, Mike. This won't be the last time you see a string of positive posts praising your work at Talkbass. ;)
  15. BrowneBasses

BrowneBasses Bass Builder

Sep 4, 2003
    Sparrow Bush, NY
    Thank you all for your kind words and support, and I do have to say that Carl should and will in the eyes of many go down as one of the greatest teachers not only to the bass community but to all that have crossed his path in life. I will hopefully someday represent that, not only with how I build an instrument, but also with how I live my life in music and harmony with others, it's all about being able to just say hello.

I am only the result of what Carl once created long ago, as we all are the result of those that we look up to and respect in one way or another.

Thanks again,
    -Mike Browne
  16. oh yea, and welcome to Talkbass!

anyways, I do have to admit, those are sweet basses and if I wasn't financially lacking, I'd be honored to purchase one!

goodluck in the bass world@!
  17. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    And, if all the cards I am currently playing beat all opposing hands, I will actually be playing the part of his first appretice, early in the new year.

Go fish...
  18. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    As stated;I also prefer cleaner lines.

Nice Website