1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mike d'antonio, killswitch engage tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by payforyoursins, Sep 30, 2008.

1. hey guys, how can i achieve the Mike d signature bass tone, if you are unsure or never heard it go to youtube and type in 'rise inside killswitch' and go on the american football type vid for the song in the background. I cant afford a new bass or amp for it but just wondering what effect i can get that will come close to his sound, thanks in advance, pfys

2. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    It just sounds like a 5 string bass with maybe a little bit of grit/OD.

A bass like that or a stingray.

3. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Thats older KSE stuff, Mike used a Gibson T-Bird IV for that record and he used a SVT rig at the time, im not sure on the distortion but I can nail it with a Mesa Bottle Rocket OD pedal and certain songs I can nail with a Sansamp simulation here (Use Headphones bass is kind of hard to hear over music): http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/10/16/294527/Killswitch Engage - My Last Serenade.mp3

Its kind of hard to distinguish my bass and Mikes bass, mine is a bit fuller sounding.

Newer stuff is just a combination of pick, SRX style Ibanez, Mesa V-12, 810s and 412's, Sansamp RBI, and a lot of energy. His tone is much cleaner these days.

MikeDAntonio.

4. just get mixed out like in most melodeath bands ;<

5. gamel

gamel

Jan 26, 2009
    no
    The way it started was, we were on tour at the same time they were on tour, and we kept hitting the same clubs within like a day of each other," recalled frontman Cory Brandan, from the Charlotte, South Carolina, stop on this summer's Warped Tour. He said all of the members of Norma Jean are tremendous D-Tones fans. "So we started leaving stuff for them. We'd leave merch and CDs and notes for them, telling them how much we liked their band. I remember playing the Fillmore in San Francisco, and we left them more stuff.Apparently, Moreno and the rest of the Deftones found the left-behind gifts and took an interest in Norma Jean.

6. im not a KSE fan but i must ask what does that have to do with any type of bass tone...or KSE for that matter?

7. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    What does this have to do w/ KSE or bass other than the fact that neither band is good and neither sounds like Deftones?

BTW, the KSE guitarist has said that the band is a joke and they all know it. Most of the songs are written in under five minutes...

8. Nicka

Nicka

Jan 10, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Endorsing Artist: Peavey Electronics
    What does the last statement have to do with his tone? :confused:

Stone - Glass house

9. Toolshmoe

Toolshmoe

Apr 11, 2009
    Mike has a very simple rig.
    He runs his signature bass through a carvin wireless system. Then it goes into a Pro Co Rat distortion pedal (one of the originals).
    From their it goes into an Ampeg SVT-VR and split into two mesa boogie 8X10 cabs.

He used to run a sansamp RBI into a mesa boogie v 12 as seen in the photo above.

If you are looking for the sound off of the first roadrunner release then it was an Ampeg SVT-CL into a Rat distortion pedal then into an Ampeg 8x10. The bass was a gibson thunderbird with the stock magnetic pick ups!

If you are looking for that sound and have a tube amp then get the pro co rat and you are all set (I use this setup a lot in the studio for bands I record.)
    If you don't have that kind of set up then get a sansamp RBI or RPM! Run them with a lot of drive and cut the lows and boost mids (on the RPM you can select the frequency to boost so boost at 1500).
    Any questions email me at mas_studios@yahoo.com

10. adam dee, the guitarist, is crazy look for the tour video of him talking with paramore and their songs a pretty good, and most of the band are talented to hell, the drummer went to some european version of berkly i believe or something like that, and this is great info

11. jmarnett

jmarnett

Oct 14, 2009
    Mike from KSE uses his signature Ibanez bass into a sansamp DI pedal to a mesa head and 810 cab. He runs just about all the eq'ing flat on the bass and head, all of his tone is created from the sansamp, get the pedal you have the tone for the most part. His bass sounds like a 5 string because it's been drop tuned to CGCF. The band is a joke because you play music, you don't work music, its suppose to be fun.

12. smtnfi

smtnfi

Mar 29, 2013
    any ibanez srx bass with heavy d'addario strings will get you his basic sound.

to be exact I know he uses a signature model based on his mik srx700 basses, as well as a new destroyer style bass with a single p style pickup, which he runs through an ampeg stack when playing live.

with his basses the eq is set flat, and plugs them straight into the board when recording. not sure how he eqs his amps live, but i imagine there's a bit of a scoop in the low end with lots of crunchy mids. best i can describe it. i've seen kse live and i'm telling you his tone is brutal and awesome.