Mike Deen COC

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ctpunk, Nov 18, 2015.

1. ctpunk

ctpunk Guest

Jan 30, 2014
    Saw last night's show in LA. Man this is up there with one of the best shows I've seen. Pepper Keenan is back in the line up and they are playing alot of the Deliverence album which I missed back in the day.

Mike Deen is a groove machine! I saw them last year when Mike was fronting and he just looks like he has way more fun when he's off to the side holding it down with Pepper fronting. That guy can really play.

Also Terragram Ballroom has some epic sound. Second show ive seen there and both were so balanced you can hear everyone's parts and it's not overkill loud either.

10cc likes this.
  2. Misfit

Misfit

Sep 26, 2012
    This actually kind of upsets me, but only because I missed it. I didn't realize Pepper was back with band. I quit following COC when he left and they went back to the original trio. Had I done my research and known Pepper was back, I definitely would have been there. COC doesn't make it out to the west coast that often. I have seen them (with Pepper) once, and to be honest I was pretty disappointed. They didn't sound too good, but I'm not sure it was their fault. They opened for Motorhead and Motorheads set was by far the worst sounding live performance I've ever heard. I've seen Motorhead twice since, and they were really good, so I think it was just a bad sound setup at the venue.

Around the Deliverance/Wiseblood era, COC was probably my favorite band. Would love to see them again, but only with Pepper. I'll keep an eye for the next time they make it out this way.

Out of curiosity, who was on drums? Is Reed back? I remember he left because he couldn't play anymore, but it seems to me I remember he came back when they returned to a three-piece. When I saw them it was some guy I'd never heard of behind the kit. It was after the 'In The Arms of God' album, and I really wish Stanton Moore had toured with them, he was a monster on that album.

3. ctpunk

ctpunk Guest

Jan 30, 2014
    Yeah Reed on drums and Woody on lead. Great line up.

Good news for ya! They announced a new album is in the works with Pepper, and I'd imagine a supporting tour to follow. :thumbsup:

4. ctpunk

ctpunk Guest

Jan 30, 2014
    Cool Baja!

5. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Love some late 90's early 00's COC. Saw them three times around this period. First was with Metallica at a big amphitheater with Reed on drums killer show. Next two times in small clubs, first with Clutch then Karma to Burn. Both of those had Jimmy Bower on drums, good drummer but I preferred Reed.

ctpunk likes this.
  6. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    One of my top 5 infliuenes! I often ask myself when songwriting: WWMDD?

ctpunk likes this.
  7. ctpunk

ctpunk Guest

Jan 30, 2014
    I gotta say the albums they've put out even more recently have had some great f'n songs on them. I was introduced to coc via Deliverence, then followed them forward, then back into the catalog. I haven't been dissapointed in any of it. They had an EP a few years back (Megaladon) that had some of the heaviest riffage on it. Def worth a listen

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021