Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Dimin: BP SoapBox

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bassist4Life, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I got my January issue of BP in the mail today and I was thrilled to see Mike Dimin on the SoapBox: "Questioning Your Voice".

The article is really great. I would love to be able to play like a lot of other players out there; however, my musical voice is more important. After all, MY voice is all I really have. My voice would be limited if my time and energy went to emulating another voice.

Congratulations Mike!

Joe

PS. I kinda' wish that BP included the address to your website and forum. For those of you that don't know Mike, you would be doing yourself a favor by visiting his website and checking out his forum. He's a great guy and teacher.

http://www.michaeldimin.com

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Joe,

Thans for noticing and posting.

I've rushing home to check my mail everyday, but I have not seen it yet. I know BP did some minor editing. I must say, I'm pretty stoked. Especially as I am a columnist for Bassics Magazine. It was cool to see BP being so accomodating. I was also kind of interested in which pic they chose

Mike

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Congrats Mike! Hopefully my issue will arrive soon so I can check it out.

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Thanks James ....still waiting

5. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Very cool Mike. Look forward to my copy in the mail as well.

6. +1

7. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I just read the article this morning. Great stuff Mike! Thanks.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    hmmm... not here, maybe tomorrow

9. Thanks Mike, I enjoyed your article. Good job.

Congrats!

ps
    your picture came out cool.

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...though I don't care for Mikes playing, he definetly has an excellent attitude & the article was one of the best I've read in a loooong time...

kudos,
    ~S~

11. I still haven't received it!!! Looking forward to it...

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    That's OK, I really don't like your playing either

13. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I'm glad that I am not the only one who has yet to receive the Jan BP. Sounds like it may be worth the wait!

14. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...oooohhhh...owwwww...LMAO/ROFL...

love,
    ~S~

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yo Mike,

1. It is OK not to be a fan of someone's playing.
    2. He was giving you a complement on overall Attitude and that Article.
    3. ...He was giving you kudos as well, that alone has to be worth something... :D

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999

Yeah, which is why I deleted the rest of what I said. There is absolutely no reason to qualify statements by saying things like "I don't like it ... but" unless one feels so insecure that it is the only way to feel good about themselves. It's like I'll give you kudos but first I'll put you down. It diminishes the rest of what is said. You know, if you wouldn't say it face to face, what gives someone the right to say it on the internet, except for the fact that they are secure in the anonymity of a screen name

I would also say that Devilman has really no idea of what I do. If he has heard me, at all, it is in a very limited context. To quote Col Jessup (A Few Good Men) "I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way"

When Bassist4Life, started this thread I was honored, because Joe and I have had many conversation, I know where he is coming from and I have a great deal of respect for his opinions. I truly appreciated it. But when someone who I don't know - who doesn't know me - feels like they can qualify thir opinion about me, can start off by dissing me, sorry I have no respect for that.

If you get something from the article than great. I hope it makes you a better player or gives one a new perspective. If you have to qualify your opinion based on your own insecurities than just keep it to yourself, please.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    he plays ok ;)

Mike, my holiday bonus check just got handed to me... expect a paypal from me soon as it clears for the core system stuff!

Anyone digging his views in the BP article needs to order his new book. I was very impressed at the NYC GTG and am finally ordering my own copy :bassist:

18. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Mike,

Thank you. I am honored by your statement. You're a great musician and I love what you do. You make me want to be a better musician.

Sincerely,
    Joe

19. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    I frankly don't see the point in qualifying a statement with a negative either. It almost makes it seem like a guitar forum.

Mike is an awesome player and very, very different from my style. AND not just different but I'd say he is more developed and advanced. YET, he still found something kind to say about my playing.

Even though my "main bag" is so different then Mike's, his playing inspired me so much that I got a few sets of the Thomastiks he's using and strung up one of my basses to try some "Dimin'esque" things.

I think that is really the truly beautiful thing about the bass......all the many, different voices. And I find so many bassists like Mike are gentlemen and actually look for ways to build others up rather than tear them down.

Mike- great article.

PS- my pic is on page 14 of the same issue of BP