1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mike Dirnt and SC P-bass mod questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kalipigeon, Sep 29, 2009.

1. So I have a Classic Vibe 50's P-bass and a Mike Dirnt Squier P-bass, and I'm thinking of doing some mods to them. My Mike Dirnt has a clear pickguard now that i can put various papers/metals/veneers under to swap out pickguards on a whim, but I think the dark neck is a bit severe once the large black pickguard is gone. My CV P-Bass is nice, but its a bit too similar sounding to the Dirnt (only it hums ) so I was thinking of getting a Gibson Mudbucker pickup (the 4 lead Novak version) and putting it in the bridge position. I think these could be good pickups in the typical musicman slot. Here's a mockup of my idea.

neckswap.

Can anyone suggest a good single coil to pair with this? I'd like to have something a little different sounding in the existing route. Also, the mudbuckers clock in at about 30k...so that means if I put a series/parallel on that pickup, it should be around 7.5k when in parallel, right?

If I do swap necks...I'm thinking the LPB needs a matching headstock though.....

2. wow...not one single opinion? That's gotta be some kind of record for internet forums...

Please guys, I'm just looking for some feedback on this idea...both aesthetics of the neck swap as shown and the logistics of the mudbucker as a bridge pickup. Any ideas/help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

3. what about this?

[​IMG]

and conserve the P in the Middle! you could switch between the P configuration, and the Tele pickups

4. I'd love to do that but so far I can't find a source for the bass version of those reissue fender humbuckers other than in a squier vm tele bass. If anyone knows where I can order them from please pm me