Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Dirnt Bass Vintage White

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basspunk2005, Sep 16, 2005.

1. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    I have a black mike dirnt bass and i am thinking of getting a vintage white version. I have seen the ones off the fender website but could anybody please post up pics of their vintage white MD bass?and if you want post up pics of the sunburst one as well. But im looking for the vintage white pics. thanks

2. it can be seen in the "boulevard of broken dreams" video

3. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    yea i know thanks:D but i would like to see a pic of one that someone has taken and not from tv?if you get me.thanks anyway

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's really more of a cream color. If it were Oly white, I'd be all over it.

[​IMG]

5. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    im asking this question because a few months back it had a review of the MD bass in Total Guitar the bass edition, and the pic it had of vintage white was like a sorta orangy colour. Then i saw the pics of the actual vintage white on the fender site and like what you have posted up just now. Just wanted to see someone using one so I could see in lifeform(if that makes sence) what it truely looks like.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hey Basspunk,

I think the problem here is in the naming. Vintage White is a fairly new Fender invention (ie., the last 20 years). It usually refers to a very lightly yellowed, or off white color.

The orange-y color you mention is most likely what's refered to these days as "butterscotch blonde". You'll see it on the MIA 52 Telecaster RI. It is a replication (sort of) of the early 50's blackguard teles. In fact, that's a color that those guitars aged to...as they started much lighter and over time can go as dark as an icky brown, depending upon the amount of light they were exposed to.

There is also a color referred to as "Honey Blonde". That's the lighter transparent yellow/white color you tend to see on late 50's whiteguard Teles. The finish was a slightly different type than the earlier ones and they don't turn as dark as the blackguards. Fender has been replicating this color off and on since that era, and it's become popular again.

Fender also had a sort of milky transparent white color they called 'blonde' in the early sixties (IIRC), and that sort of looks like the original picture posted.

Of course there's some 'float' in all these colors as both nitro and Poly clear coats yellow with age, so you can see variants from that darker brown orange color all the way through to pale white.

7. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    ah aight cool thanks for that. I got confused when the magazine said this was vintage white and then fender and the shop i got my original MD bass from said that vintage white was exactly the same as what fender said. Maybe it was the contrasting of the pic on the magazine maybe. Or of course they had a diff colour made or something along those lines and called it vintage white just to confuse me :D so anybody post up pics of ur actual md bass in vintage white and not a pic from fender etc

8. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    somebody must have a vintage white MD bass that they could post up a pic of it

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Also, bumping every hour doesn't incline anyone to answer. Realize most of America is either at work or still in bed.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    And google searches usually do the trick.
    This is from an authorized Fender dealer, does it count?

[​IMG]

Surprise: same color as the other pictures.

11. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    yes thanks, no need to have a go mate i wanted an answer.and im in uk so how am i meant to know if ppl are at work or not?thanks for the pic and yes i just wanted to make sure what colour it would be, ass if u read my post earlier which u clearly havnt i needed a answer as a mag i have posted a diff colour to the one normally found. also i used google and that pic didnt come up in the 10 pages that it found. so dont assume i didnt bother searching for it