Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Dirnt bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pthump, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    How does this compare to mexican precisions? I have heard it is better for slap/pop and just generally more versatile than other P-basses. Why would this be?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its better. I dont tihnk a mexican P is better in any way unless you like the shape of the MIM better.

3. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    The Dirnt P blows pretty much every other Fender P out of the water. I'm a Soundgear-thin kind of guy, but the neck really felt like home. Nice and thick, but not a baseball bat. The sound is basically the epitome of the agressive, trebly pickstyle tone of a good P. I'm sure it'd thump with the best of them with flats.

4. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    Yea, I'm looking for something that is very aggresive - similar to mike dirnt's sound on the CD Dookie. Was thinking of a gibson grabber, but the mike dirnt is pretty punchy? How would it compare to a grabber?

5. i had about 5 mins with one at a local music shop and i loved it, first p bass ive enjoyed. would definitely consider buying it as a practice/banger bass.

6. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    cool

7. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Get a Grabber. It can be very aggressive sounding, and the sliding pickup is cooler than Tre.

8. If you're looking for a Grabber, I'd go for a G3 instead of justa G. lol.

The Mike P rocks. Very punchy, warm, you'd have no problem getting the typical P sound with a cool "flick" to it.

and it looks sweet. :smug:

9. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    Why G-3 as opposed to just a normal grabber?

10. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    The Grabber has only 1 sliding pickup, whereas the G3 has three single coils.

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'd love to try a Dirnt out. I'm thinking about getting one and routing a bridge J in there.

12. I have found the Dirnt bass to be my favorite bass at the moment. Unfortunately I couldn't wait long enough to get a color other than black (when I want a bass I want it right away) and now I have two black basses. Looks pretty cool next to my Geddy Lee bass. Just like two black tuxedos.

13. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    What makes the Dirnt P-bass sound so nice? Normally I'm not a big fan of P-basses, but I really liked the sound of the Dirnt P I played. I just can't figure it out. Anyone know what it could be?

14. The G3 is what Mike used for slappy hours-insomniac (mostly). the G3 can get a fairly close P sound, although, so can the G.

However, the clising single on the G just imo is not very bassy. I love my G and it's sound. I suppose you could say that the g3 has a bit more to offer...

15. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Why not just get a Schecter Model T?

16. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    Yea, I'd love to nail that early mike dirnt bass tone. Anyone else a fan of it?

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    me. His tone with the Gibson (what model was it exactly?) killed.

18. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    word

19. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    I think I saw Elvis Costello's Bass player playing a white one out here last weekend.....( it was EC's bassplayer, just not 100% sure it was a Dirnt.. Sure looked like it from where I was )

Sounded great through His Ashdown stack....

Yummmmmmmmmmy

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

20. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Cos I played one, and I didn't like it. It's heavy, and the stock pickups are pretty crappy.