1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mike Dirnt P bass Club - both Fender and Squier welcome.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A. D. Fairhurst, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Ace of bass

30.0%
  2. Good!

58.6%
  3. OK

8.6%
  4. Meh

4.3%
  5. Poor

1.4%
  6. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. It did a better job as firewood than as a bass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I am the owner of a Squier Mike Dirnt P bass in white with a Tortguard. Thought I'd make this thread so owners can chat about their bass with others and ask about any problems you may encounter. I don't think there's a Mike P club in existence, but if there is feel free to close this one down, moderators.

Also be sure cast your vote in the above poll!

2. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Well, I have part of a Dirnt. It's an MIM Fender Dirnt Roadworn body, with a Cabronita neck, and the rest my favorite parts. Pre '08 Am Std pickups, vintage bridge, CTS, Switchcraft, Reverse tuners. I liked the body because I liked the mismatched grain in the ash. I'm kinda odd like that.

I didn't vote, because it's not a full Dirnt, so my opinion doesn't count. :D But it's a P bass, so it's good.

Dirnt Bass 2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  3. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I have the same one, love it. I would love to get one of the Road Worn Dirnts

009_zps8b7300f2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    kkaarrll and Tbone76 like this.
  4. ShiftyFlatwound

ShiftyFlatwound

Apr 3, 2015
    I own the Road Worn since a couple of months. It took a while to find the sweet spot for the set up. Now it just plays, sounds and feels great!

Lightweight ash, rich and deep sound!

image.jpg

5. Your vote counts as much as anyone's. What did you think of it when you first got it?

EdBo likes this.
  6. 2cooltoolz

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    It was never a Dirnt, complete. Or not in my life anyway. I bought the body from Stratosphere and acquired the other parts over time. I played a Dirnt in the local GC, just for a minute, and the neck didn't work for me. Too chunky. That's why I went with a Cabronita neck.

I put a Jazz neck on my regular Road Worn precision and I switch back and forth between the two basses without even thinking about it. The neck on my original Road Worn was too wide for me. The Cabronita neck on my Dirnt RW body is nominally a standard P bass profile, but it feels smaller to me.

The body from Stratosphere was around $270, and the Dirnt neck was about $400. I got the Cabronita neck for around $230, so that was a bit of a factor in my choosing. Nonetheless, I'm very pleased with the combination I chose. It's now my #1.

edit: I changed my mind. I'm thinking, "The Dirnt is 1.65" at the nut and the RW is 1.75". Is 1/10 of an inch even noticeable?" So I put the original neck back on my RW P. (Jazz neck for sell shortly ;)) It does feel wider, but I'm going to learn to love it...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    EdBo likes this.
  7. 2cooltoolz

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    The pair.

Dirnt and Road Worn A.jpg

Just put the original neck back on the regular RW:

Dirnt and RW with RW neck.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    EdBo, kkaarrll and Tbone76 like this.
  8. Just thought I would bring this up. I put on a set of Fender medium gauge flats, which sound like they were crafted by God, but I have a problem: the nut gaps are too small! The string doesn't sit right the way in! Because of this my action is now 6mm high at the 17th fret! Old JJ would love it (if he was still alive) but I find it barely playable! I know I could just file it wider, and I probably will (if my dad lets me. He's going to be VERY scared about me breaking it!) but, really Squier? Get your act together on the cheaper basses!

EdBo likes this.
  9. Adam Christopher

Adam Christopher

Nov 9, 2015
    I own a black Fender MD Bass. Previous owner removed the pick guard and fitted a MIJ maple neck, I've just ordered a replacement guard for it in white, but not sure how long Ill be keeping it.... :-( This will be my first standard/long scale bass, and Im having trouble getting my hands around it. :-(

Attached Files:

EdBo likes this.
  10. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

Dec 9, 2013
    New York
    TADA! my Old cabronita bass (pickguard painted) and my new Fender Mike Dirnt!

Attached Files:

staurosjohn and EdBo like this.
  11. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Nice octopus sticker! sure looks like a HMNIM one.

EdBo likes this.
  12. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

Dec 9, 2013
    New York
    It is!, got it when I bought a shirt.

EdBo likes this.
  13. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    I knew it!

Those are the best t shirts ever. So soft! I have enough for 2 weeks.

EdBo likes this.
  14. Here's mine, same exact bass. Got it cheap on an Ebay bid several months ago, NOS 2015 model from a guitar store in Pennsylvania (I think) who had bought a bunch of them from Fender on some sort of closeout. I did a lot of digging on the forum for people with experience with this particular instrument but didn't have much luck, bought it having never played one and not knowing a whole lot about them other than I love the look and had wanted one for some time.

My fear was that being inexpensive to begin with (original list price new I think was $359?) it would need fret work and that the neck would be too fat (I'd read somewhere they had fat necks). The frets on this one at least are fine and apparently I don't know what a fat neck is cause this one isn't anywhere near what I'd consider fat. Quite comfortable and plays surprisingly well. I did replace the stock bent metal bridge with a Hipshot KickAss (BadAss II clone) which made a noticeable improvement in my ability to get a nice low no buzz setup on the strings, made it even more playable than it was stock. I'm fine with the pickup, at least for now anyway. Definitely gets the Dirnt tone; we do "Longview" and it totally nails the sound from the recording. It currently splits playing time, both practice and gigs, with my Thunderbirds.

The body is pretty lightweight, more than I would have expected, and I get the impression fairly soft wood. Not sure the wood, either agathis or basswood (anyone know for sure?). Much easier on the shoulder at around 8 lbs versus the T-Bird at 10+. Especially considering what I have invested in it I'm very happy with one, definitely a player.

So if this is a club you issuing membership numbers? :eyebrow:

20160910_134110_resized.jpg

EdBo likes this.
  15. Hey A.D., you know the forum rules. No picture, no bass. :whistle:

EdBo likes this.
  16. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    hey reviving an old thread. Looking for a neck for a dirnt bass. if anyone hasnt played theres in a while and wants to do a neck swap. lmk!

also has anyone put a jazz neck on their dirnt?

EdBo likes this.
  17. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    can anyone provide to me the neck pocket dimensions for a dirnt squier? width and depth?

EdBo likes this.
  18. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Mike in Pittsburgh last Saturday.
    MD Pgh32517.jpg

EdBo and p-ripper like this.
  19. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    have a dirnt bass for sale if anyone is looking