1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mike Dirnt P bass Club - both Fender and Squier welcome.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A. D. Fairhurst, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Ace of bass

30.0%
  2. Good!

58.6%
  3. OK

8.6%
  4. Meh

4.3%
  5. Poor

1.4%
  6. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. It did a better job as firewood than as a bass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Here ya go mate. Shes a beaut

Great bass. SUPER light. almost unbelievably light but still a bad ass. Plays great neck is fast and straight. action is good.
    Interested in trades as well dont be shy email me

Now the specs:

Squier Mike Dirnt Body. (modeled after a 50s p bass)
    Cabronita Tele Style Neck in maple (the dirnt never came in maple neck so thats a plus)
    Duncan SPB-1 Vintage Pickup. Really Nails that 57-62 tone. And is wired with the vintage style cloth wiring.
    High mass grooved bridge
    New Pots and Wiring harness with orange drop capacitor. (wired with vintage cloth wire and upgraded to the original pots)

Attached Files:

2. Identical to mine minus the mods. I did replace the bridge with a Hipshot Kickass (huge improvement), stock otherwise. Really didn't see any real reason to modify it (other than the bridge, stock bent metal Fender bridges suck). Surprisingly good instrument, especially considering the price point.

EdBo likes this.
  3. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    I have a 1971 Fender Telecaster Neck on a 1969 Fender Precision body, with stock '69 P pickups and basses bridge.
    It's a great player. Love that bass. Very much like the Mike Dirnt bass.

EdO. likes this.
  4. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    My 2 Squier Mike Dirnts. The white one actually has a Cabronita neck on it at the moment and has the White Pearl pickguard on it from the Black Dirnt. The Black Dirnt has the front wrapped with Carbon Fiber vinyl wrap along with a Red Pearl custom pickguard I fabricated for it. It's also sporting a Babicz Bridge and both Dirnts have Active EMG P pickups. Both are excellent instruments. 1MD1.jpg 1MD2.jpg

staurosjohn and A. D. Fairhurst like this.
  5. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Can I get it.

Mine is no longer black, but I think it looks good.

basses.jpg

staurosjohn, EdBo and TDR1138 like this.
  6. Just picked up this MIM roadworn body for $100 CAD! gonna be a fun build!

Attached Files:

staurosjohn and EdBo like this.
  7. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    I'm still Rock'in both my Squier Dirnt's.
    The Black one has black Carbon Fiber vinyl wrap on the front surfaces. The white one is currently back to the stock pickguard. Both weigh in at 8 lbs 3 oz and are grind machines with EMG's original active P Bass pickup's.
    The Butterscotch Fender Standard Telecaster Precision Bass(Musicians Friend Limited Edition) joined the herd this past XMas and has the Fender Mike Dirnt Vintage 59 Pickup and Pickguard (from Stratosphere) installed.
    That pickup is amazing and I liked it so much, I ordered another one as soon as it became available and have it in the Model T.
    I'm going to get one of Fenders "Original P Bass Pickups" Pt.#099-2046-000 to compare to the 59.
    The 59's that I have both are in the 10.8k range and the specs for the original are 10.5k and look the same and use the Alnico 5 magnets. It would be awesome if the original and the vintage 59 are the same except for the road-worn appearance of the 59. It would be much cheaper to get them new instead of getting them used from Stratosphere.
    If anyone has any info/experience with these pickups let me know.
    Thanks
    MD5a.jpg

8. Good looking basses. I was a big Green Day fan growing up and loved their earlier stuff but "Dookie" was like a breath of fresh air for me at the time and since I have loved Mike's style of playing and energy. I would not call him a "ace of bass" however he's up there on the list of talented musicians that is for sure.

EdBo likes this.
  9. p-ripper

p-ripper

Jan 11, 2018
    Looking forward to hear what comes of this!

10. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    It will probably be a few weeks and I hope to be able to measure the Inductance of the two 59's I have along with the DC resistance to compare with the inexpensive Fender "Original". They both have the beveled Alnico 5 Magnets. Hopefully the only difference is the relic/Roadworn treatment.
    I'll be sure to report back here my findings on the Spec's and what my good ear hears.
    **Peace**
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

staurosjohn and p-ripper like this.
  11. p-ripper

p-ripper

Jan 11, 2018
    They both have the cloth wire too!! I have the '59 pickup in my 2004 non-RW Dirnt and love it. Would love to know if this was secretly the same pickup. Looking forward to it!

EdBo likes this.
  12. shadven

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    What do we know about the original Mike Dirnt bass?

Was it a 1968-71 Telecaster bass neck on a P-bass body? Or a custom creation?

EdBo likes this.
  13. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    It's my understanding is that his Signature Fender P is something he put together with Fender. Custom Creation, I suppose.
    Early 50's Slab body and pickguard but modifeid with an added arm contour, Fender High-Mass Bridge and the use of the Split Coil Pickup(Vintage 59) instead of the original Single Coil. The Neck choice was a thick C with a nut width of 1.59" and the original Tele Style Headstock(Matches with the 68-71's).

Do you know something different ?

14. shadven

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    No. That's kinda what I thought too. I have a bass I gig with a lot that is a '71 Telecaster neck on a '69 P-bass body. But, why I was poking around the Mike Dirnt thread was that I just picked up a Musicians Friend "Limited Edition" Telecaster/Precision bass that looks exactly like the Mike Dirnt bass. Musician's Friend Description: "For this Limited Edition electric bass, Fender gave a Standard P Bass the ’50s treatment, adding a Tele-style headstock and 3-ply Parchment ’51 P Bass pickguard. A slab body with arm carve, comfortable P Bass neck profile, 9.5”-radius fingerboard and medium-jumbo frets let this bass play like a modern dream while recalling the earliest days of the Precision Bass.

Other features include a seismic-sounding Standard Series P Bass split-coil pickup and a side-mounted output jack. The Limited Edition Standard Tele P Bass combines vintage vibe with modern playability to create an instrument that’s truly timeless."

EdBo likes this.
  15. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I wish that Fender Ltd Edition came with a rosewood board - that's why the Dirnt P is my P of choice. Love the retro styling plus the dark fingerboard! Can't do maple.

I actually own two at the moment, one MIM and one Squier.

dirntsX2.jpg

The MIM is a great bass but is EXTREMELY heavy so I've been on the lookout for a lighter body. The Squier is actually anti-gravity or something. Super light. So far, I've transferred the MIM neck and bridge onto the Squier body. Super light. My soldering skills are suspect so I haven't done the electronics yet but will. As it is, it sounds really great. Crazy Squier pickup!

shadven, EdBo and staurosjohn like this.
  16. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    I picked up a Squier MD- several years ago... refinished in Sonic Blue... ‘added’ Fender ‘62 pu, 3-ply guard, flat-top knobs, vintage wiring harness, Fender bridge & cover... and an MD Roadworn neck w/Hipshot lollypop tuners! This has shown up in a few threads on TB... most of you have probably seen it somewhere, before, but here it is again :woot:

Was...
    CF691ED6-433D-4F9D-9457-06DFD8524418.jpeg F969924E-A663-4DF4-9A69-1359173FEF5B.jpeg

Now...
    9E08BA6B-A723-44DB-A026-0EE57781F47C.jpeg

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  17. p-ripper

p-ripper

Jan 11, 2018
    The inspiration was his '69 P-Bass "Stella." I don't know if they still market it this way but they used to say the neck shape was based off his "favorite 1969 p-bass."

[​IMG]

Found this quote too

"My signature bass is a big part of the sound of the new record—it’s between that and my ’71 P-Bass with a maple neck that I call “the Weapon.” They’re based on my ’69; that’s Stella, named after my daughter. And I play a Höfner on one song, “Drama Queen,” which has really fat bass."

EdBo and staurosjohn like this.
  18. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Can I have that? I have some magic beans I'll trade you. Beautiful! Love it.

A. D. Fairhurst, staurosjohn and EdBo like this.
  19. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    :jawdrop: :p

bovinehost and EdBo like this.
  20. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    I mean when you're done with it. Are you almost done with it?

staurosjohn and EdBo like this.