1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mike Dirnt P bass Club - both Fender and Squier welcome.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A. D. Fairhurst, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Ace of bass

30.0%
  2. Good!

58.6%
  3. OK

8.6%
  4. Meh

4.3%
  5. Poor

1.4%
  6. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. It did a better job as firewood than as a bass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Tele21.jpg Tele24.jpg Tele18.jpg Tele19.jpg Tele27.jpg Tele26.jpg Tele20.jpg
    I ordered one of the LE Tele's from M.F. at XMas. At the same time I also ordered a Mike Dirnt Loaded Pickguard (I know nothing loads into the Pickguard, lol)from Stratosphere that includes Pickups and controls/Plate.
    I've been wanting a Fender Mike Dirnt with a Maple fretboard but can't never quite get enough Gas $$ together so when I found an open Box LE Tele I jumped on it. I'm so happy that I got it and I got a really good one also. The neck is sweet, being 1.594" at the nut. They were spec'ed on MF as being 1.625" and it was a bonus to me that it was advertised in error. It has a chunkier/deeper C shape by almost 1/10th of an inch over my 2 Squier Mike Dirnt's. The truss rod adjustment is is at the headstock instead of the heal but, I prefer it anyway.
    Glad I ordered a Vintage 59 pickup for it because the stock pickup wasn't "Seismic Sounding" it SUCKED badly. It was Cheesy w/ Ceramic bar magnets and wound to a weak 4.9 K. The Vintage 59 is wound to a warm 10.85 K and uses Alnico 5 magnets/pole pieces.
    I also did a string thru mod on a 5 screw Babicz Bridge, drilled the body and added string ferules.
    With a case and all the mods I have $700.00 in it. It only weighs 8 lbs 6 oz in comparison to the 10 lb average of a Fender Mike Dirnt.
    I'm very happy with my Butterscotch Grind Machine.

p-ripper and staurosjohn like this.
  2. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Haha... I’ll let you know... I’m 56- not too many good years left! :smug:;):laugh::thumbsup:

bovinehost and EdBo like this.
  3. staurosjohn

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Nice mods! ... only thing missing is a set of Lollipop tuners!! :laugh::):cool:

EdBo likes this.
  4. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I have a good feeling about this bass.

staurosjohn and EdBo like this.
  5. staurosjohn

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    You may be feeling ‘er in ur hands very soon! :bassist:

EdBo likes this.
  6. leonvdb

leonvdb

Jul 19, 2013
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know if the newer version (from 2013) Fender pickguards fit on the Squier or is there a bit of sanding/filing needed?

Cheers

EdBo likes this.
  7. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    I finally got a new, inexpensive Fender Original '62 P Bass Pickup to compare with the elusive Vintage 59 Pickup that come in a Fender Mike Dirnt P Basses.
    I am now 98% certain that these are the same pickup, after comparing them visually, dc resistance measurements and playing/listening to them in the same P Bass. I also now have each installed in 2 very similar P Basses. The only physical/visual difference I found between them is that the 59's are Roadworn/Reliced and the Original 62's are factory fresh with the the Brass Plate. If there is any difference in them sonically, it is negligible and I can't hear it. I would be 100% certain if I had someway of testing the Inductance and Q.
    This is very good news for me and others who love the tone/growl of the Vintage 59. I have two 59's(10.85k and 10.91k ohms) that I purchased thru Stratosphere for $90 and $130 w/ pickguard and control's/plate (3 & 6 months ago). The 62 Original measures 10.93k ohms(Spec'ed @ 10.5k).
    The Fender Original 62 P Bass Pickup can be had for $60 to $70 everywhere.
    Tele8b.jpg Tele8c.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    EdO. and p-ripper like this.
  8. FilipL82

FilipL82

Sep 11, 2016
    Belgium
    A5F9DE96-E1E6-4ED9-A0A1-E70C0E5A47C0.jpeg Very very happy with my Fender Dirnt Roadworn from 2013. Great nitro finish (lovely ‘cracks’), fantastic Badass Bridge, fat but playable neck and awesome ‘59 pickups.
    I mostly fit my P’s with SD Quarter Pounders, the ‘59’s highs are less harsh and more oldschool sounding.

p-ripper, grrg63 and EdBo like this.
  9. billyofcourse

billyofcourse

Jan 8, 2018
    I just picked up one of the fender ones with a maple fretboard a few days ago. Absolutely loving it so far.

p-ripper and EdBo like this.
  10. FilipL82

FilipL82

Sep 11, 2016
    Belgium
    I’ve put a neck with a maple fretboard from the stratosphere on mine and I love it even more now!

EdBo likes this.
  11. Sandman64

Sandman64

Sep 9, 2015
    What's the poundage MD RWB?

EdBo likes this.
  12. FilipL82

FilipL82

Sep 11, 2016
    Belgium
    Mine is 4kg sharp , very reasonable for a large bass

EdBo likes this.
  13. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    You seem to have got blessed with a very lite one. Most of them I've seen are in the 9 pound range and closer to 10.

14. FilipL82

FilipL82

Sep 11, 2016
    Belgium
    I’ve seen other Roadworn versions in the 8.5-9 range, always ask the exact weight before you but if possible. Anyone knows
    why you Fender sell the rosewood fretboards in Europe and the maple fretboards in the USA? I ordered my maple neck from the Stratosphere as I couldn’t find them anywhere in the EU.

EdBo likes this.
  15. Sandman64

Sandman64

Sep 9, 2015
    Great thanks guys.

EdBo likes this.
  16. snowblinder

snowblinder

Jun 16, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Just recently joined the club. Say hello to my new favorite bass:

78112150_10215647429114652_7380922515314442240_n-jpg.jpg

EdBo likes this.
  17. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    I’m a big fan of the sound of the road worn dirnt bass but the feel leaves me a little cold. Since fender doesn’t sell the pickup separately, is there anything out there that sounds similar to the stock pickup in the roadworn dirnt?

EdBo likes this.
  18. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Get one of the inexpensive Fender Originals.
    Tele8d.jpg

I have 3 of the Vintage 59's that were pulled from Dirnt's. I love them but, I recently purchased a Fender Original 62 to test and compare w/ the 59 because they specs are similar and look the same. I can't tell any difference between them tone wise except,the 59 is roadworn/reliced. The original specs/ call sheet for the Dirnt listed a 62 as the pickup. The fender Original can be had for $60 to 70 everywhere.
    I wish I'd have known befor I spent so much money chasing down the 59's pulled from Dirnt's.

MikeDirntspecs.png

19. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    I had no idea! Now I’m intrigued.

EdBo likes this.
  20. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    I actually got offered another 59 recently for almost the same price as a new original and couldn't pass on it. Never hurts to have a spare. I love the bump in the mid-range in just the right place, they make "Growling Grind Machines". either one will make a Squier sound amazing, IMO.

Here's my complete Split coil P Bass Pickup rant I wrote around 6 months ago. I kept a copy of it.

My Split Coil P Bass Pickup Rant.
    I finally got a new, inexpensive Fender Original '62 P Bass Pickup to compare with the elusive Vintage 59 Pickup that come in a Fender Mike Dirnt P Basses.
    I am now 98% certain that these are the same pickup, after comparing them visually, dc resistance measurements and playing/listening to them in the same P Bass. I also now have each installed in 2 very similar P Basses. The only physical/visual difference I found between them is that the 59's are Roadworn/Reliced and the Original 62's are factory fresh with the the Brass Plate. If there is any difference in them sonically, it is negligible and I can't hear it. I would be 100% certain if I had someway of testing the Inductance and Q.
    This is very good news for me and others who love the tone/growl of the Vintage 59. I have two 59's(10.85k and 10.91k ohms) that I purchased thru Stratosphere for $90 and $130 w/ pickguard and control's/plate(3 & 6 months ago). The 62 Original measures 10.93k ohms.
    The Fender Original 62 P Bass Pickup can be had for $60 to $70 everywhere.
    Since the late 80's I would put Active EMG's in all my instruments but, a couple of years ago I became open minded about Passive Split Coil P Bass Pickups after purchasing a Schecter Michael Anthony Signature Bass equipped with Schecter USA Custom Shop MA '78 MonsterTone Pickups w/ Ceramic Bar Magnet's wound to almost 13K. Another very good P w/ Ceramic Bar Magnets I found were the MojoTone Knockout's( also wound to almost 13k). I really thought it was all about Ceramic Magnets till every time I heard a Mike Dirnt P w/ Alnic 5 Rod Magnet's live or recorded I had to find one.
    The Vintage 59(and now the Original 62) is currently is my favorite. 2nd is the Geezer Butler Passive EMG P is really good to my ears also but is wound to a slightly hotter 11.2K, also w/ Alnico 5 Rod Magnet's.
    Rant over.
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    **Peace**

husky123 likes this.