Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mike dirnt p bass GAS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spockrock79, Mar 21, 2005.

1. spockrock79

spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    NC
    i'm so weak...i've been lusting after one of these for a few weeks. i finally got a chance to play one last saturday thru a b100r. oh my...i'm primarily a pick player and this was a pick player's dream. the bass i played was kinda worn and the pickguard was a little warped, but the sound was incredible thru the ampeg. i already have the ampeg, i must be strong and not purchase the dirnt(for a while at least). i have a mim standard p that i was going to hotrod(sd 1/4 lb pickups and a badassII) but the mike dirnt bass is exactly what i'm looking for already no mods required. i just bought a dr bass 2x12 cab and an ashdown mag300 and i'm not even playing in a full band setting again. now i see this bass...what in the world is wrong with me...i have the money to buy it, but i'm trying not to spend more than 1,000.00 in gear in 2 months. i suppose i must pray to the GAS gods to assuage my longing. i'll buy one eventually, i guess i'll just make myself save for it and sell the mim p. then i have to decide what color, that'll be another gut wrenching decision-i love the black with white pick guard*(my jazz rocks the same combo), but i think olympic white with a black guard would be beautiful as well. i've done a search already and read about everything i can find on the bass...sorry to post another thread but do any dirnt owners want to chime in? mainly this is to just vent my GAS frustrations and my weaknesses, i'm at work and all i can do is scim ebay for basses,(there's a dirnt for 425.00 on there right now) i need help...

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    GAS is such a dibilitating condition aint it? At least you have good taste, those dirnt p-basses are awesome. Personally Id go for the white with the black pg but thats just me. hope you dont spend the next month or 2 pullin ur hair out in frustration till you get it.

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I'm getting over my desire for one.

I closely inspected a load of five identical black ones at Guitar Center.

One was very nice, two were only so-so and two were absolute junk.

These aren't encouraging odds.

4. spockrock79

spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    NC
    i've heard a few things about quality as well actually, the bass i played saturday was at guitar center. the guitar center in raleigh, nc has a dude that is always there, dreadlocks and all...he's kinda spaced out but a cool guy otherwise. anyway i respect what he has to say b/c he plays about every bass/guitar in the place all day every saturday. he had played the dirnt a few weeks before and noticed a bowed neck, and he did verify it was the same bass. evidently he pointed that out to the guys that work there and it was properly fixed. i didn't notice any issues when i played it, it just made me want to break out the debit card then and there. maybe some of them are just a set up away from greatness?

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    No, bad setup pretty much goes without saying at a retailer that doesn't perform setup after receiving shipped instruments, and I don't know of a Guitar Center that does.

"How it plays" is a naive assessment of an instrument.

I'm talking about build issues like poor finish and - particularly - bad fretwork, notably bent tangs and the resulting gaps between the fret and the wood on one edge, which are effectively irremediable. Lousy fret detailing and high frets can be fixed (maybe), but bent frets can't be without replacement.

Most "play it and see if it 'speaks to me'" shoppers haven't a clue about any of this.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    There were two in my local GC, one was what I'd expect from a MIM, and another was quite nice. A bit heavier than I would've liked, but if I wasn't a grand in debt, I would've walked out of that store with a Dirnt.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Some are monstrously heavy, some aren't.

If I ever find a light one that's made decently, in anything but black and at my price, I'm sure I'd bag it, but the odds aren't good on all those "ifs" lining up for me. :meh:

The real drag about my Guitar Center is that they seem to get loads of exactly the same item -- like these FIVE black Dirnts -- and they won't order another load until all those are gone, and nobody wants the black Dirnts. I think they're all still there after several months. So...I'll never see a cream or sunburst one there in this lifetime. :(

If they sit long enough, maybe they'll do what they did with a wad of blue Hoppus basses that sat stale two or three years back -- try to blow them out for $333.99 on Memorial Day. Funny, but they didn't sell them even for that price.

8. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    id love to have one too, especially one in white but what turns me off are the crappy fret job of the ones i've played.

9. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Well this is true with alot of fenders, mostly the standard series, quality control just aint that good. The one I played was very nice, it was the only one in the shop and i could tell it was well maintained.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Including the MIAs.

There's really no excuse for this. It's purely a management decision, not an accident. QC ship/don't-ship standards can be updated overnight.

11. I was GASin' for a P bass for a while, and tried a few out. I even thought about building one from parts. Then I discovered the Dirnt. I was sold on the pickup and the ash body, plus I love the '50's look. My local GC had one (black, of course) and I tried it out. It felt and sounded great, but was a little ragged out, and I didn't want black. I ended up ordering one from Musician's Friend in sunburst. It got to my house in three days, and it is beautiful. The only construction flaw is a file mark on the fingerboard near the nut. The frets are seated well and are polished and level. I did have to adjust the truss rod, but I normally do my own set-ups. It weighs a little less than my MIM Jazz bass. I put on some D'addario Half-rounds (my favorite string) This sucker sounds great! It has the perfect P-bass sound. Warm and fat with the tone knob down, and snarling with the tone up (think "Live at Leeds", or better yet, the bass tone from the Mothers "Cruisin' with Rueben and the Jets") My band-mates all complemented my sound.
    It could stand to be shielded, though, but I generally don't play with the tone more than half-way up.
    Anyway, I guess the moral of this story is to order one brand new, unpack it and set it up yourself, and you will be as happy as me.

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    If one is as lucky as you were. :D

I always do my own setups, but I can't pre-QC a mail ordered axe.

13. You could always return it.

14. spockrock79

spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    NC
    i'll probably end up ordering new, i'm leaning towards the olympic white but can never find a color other than black in stores...

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, what is that all about anyway? :confused: