Mike Dirnt P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by demolition, Aug 29, 2004.

1. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I traded in all my low end basses(2)and a one I built for a brandy new Dirnt bass,I must say for Mex it is well made,no high fretts,evenly straight treble and bass side of the neck,quiet pick-ups and a nicely filed bad a$$ bridge string ferrels,though it needed a complete set-up(action,neck,intonation,frett-board lube)it plays pretty good.
    I try to avoid Mexican fenders(no dis.intended if you own one )because of their inconsistency of quality but the last few years with the addidtion of the M.Hoppus bass and the ash bodied standard models the level of general quality has gone up,more so on a consistent level than on a specific part of the bass,so I give the Dirnt bass 2 thumbs up(her name is stella dora) :hyper:
  2. lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    The Mike Dirnt P-Bass may just be my next purchase- I don't know why but I have a thing for the old-school P-Bass, and his combines the best of old and new. I thought they were built in Japan though...
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just checked out that Mike Dirnt P-Bass today and it is one hot sounding P-Bass!. IF you like a slappable P-Bass, this is it! I may have to pick this one up on payday. I really dig the combination of different P-Bass looks too.
  4. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    i played one the other week. I love the sound this thing makes!! Its got a rubbery twangy sound reminicent of some of my favorite treble-heavy punk bass players, ie Bouncing Souls and Alkaline Trio to name a few.

One thing i did notice was the looking on the side of the neck at the frets they didnt seem to be set in all the way on the E string side, sort of a gap underneath. Has anyone else come across this? I'd hate to get one of these and bring it to a guitar repair guy first thing.
  5. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    You traded in LowEnd basses for a fender? I can't believe it.

Joking aside I have nothing to say.
  6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I played one at GC and it was O.k. After getting sucked into the Sting model, I am very weary of the old-school approach. Both had necks like tree trunks.
  7. My Dirnt sig. has EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM!!
    I thought I was the only one..
  8. The Mike Dirnt P-bass is awesome, and I normally hate any precision, because in general they are a bit boring and bland.
  9. I don't know about the Drint signature, but I do like the Sting P bass, but I really wish that they just had a reissue '51 rather than a Sting sig. I just dont like the idea of signature basses. Unless its the Wimbish sig. That thing is pretty sexy.

10. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    y0 justin :D

i think the problem may be solved by just hammering in the frets completely although bringing it to a repair man would definately be a lot safer...

I like the looks of that bass.

Not quite the same bass, but I love how the headstock, pickguard, body, etc parts go together so well
  11. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I'm a usual Fender-hater, and I picked one up to fool with at GC while killing time, and I have the same reaction! It was quite slappable and hot!

I then put it back down right quick. =0) Skeery, that P.

(and I don't even like green day much, but Dirnt is a good player - good to see the bass is nice.)
  12. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    how much would a re-fret job cost? i would hope not that much since the bass doesn't cost that much to begin with.
  13. Now I am liking that precision, is that humbucker I see in the bridge? So many P-basses have that horrible dull sunburst finish, and tat big ugly pickguard, and theey look so depressing.
  14. :eek:
  15. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Is that dude giving us the finger?
  16. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    I checked one out the other day. The neck was nice, good fret job on this one and a tight neck pocket. I do think the craftsmanship is much better on my Sting signature. The biggest problem was the cheap feeling finish. There were a couple imperfections that were easily felt. Also, the lack of body contor was noticeable after only a couple minutes.

It also wasn't nearly as loud as my Sting unplugged.

They look cool though.
  17. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    It is a humbucker.

Dull sunburst? Depressing? How long have you been blind for?
  18. lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    Well, I just brought home my brand new Mike Dirnt P-Bass and it is, indeed, made in Mexico. Damn, this thing sounds killer even before you plug it in. And it's easily the best looking out of all my other basses.
  19. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    shawn, you are a fruit cake.
  20. lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT

They do make a '51 reissue. It's made in Japan and sells for between $600 and $700. My local Sam Ash has one.