1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mike Dirnt P Truss Rod Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Russell L, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I heard some old news that you have to remove the neck to get at the truss rod adjustment on the Mike Dirnt Precision Bass. Anyone know if that's still true today?

Thanks.

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    >bump<

I need to know before I buy one.

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    But then again, "yes"'s gonna be the answer to: "do I have to remove the neck to a plethora of Fender Classic (or "Classic deriving" Artist models as well) to fully access truss "cross-shaped" rod"?
    It's the way that rod got conceived, not an exclusively issue of the Mike Dirnt Precision... Roger Waters, (former) Frank Bello Jazz (with P neck), Mark Hoppus Jazz (with P neck) and all Classic series work that way

Don't worry,
    Minor issue, believe me

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    On Fenders with the truss rod adjustment at the body end of the neck (rather than at the headstock), some recommend removing the neck to make the adjustment. It's difficult to get at the nut without scarring the pickguard with the screwdriver, and if you use a small enough screwdriver to just contact the part of the slot above the pickguard you risk shearing off a piece of the truss rod nut. That design is a total PITA, IMO.

If the truss rod nut is at the headstock (my MIM J has this), access is no problem.

5. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Aw...bummer. It's enough that the bass might be heavy. I dunno, gotta think.

Thanks, guys.

6. I thought access was possible by removing the pickguard allowing ample room to reach the adjuster.

Live and learn. Aren't the Geddys the same?

7. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    That's better than removing the neck. Anyone confirm this?