Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Dirnt Tone

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Zirc, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Well my band is doing a cover of When I Come Around and I was wondering what Dirnt (bassist of Greenday) does to his amp to get that tone he has when he plays the song. I tried one thing where I turned the tone on my bass all the way up, but all that you hear on the recording is a tinny fieldy sounding bass. Help me Dirnt fans!!! (I know you're out there).

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well mike has a 40 year old bass and a custom made rig. mesaboogie mb2000. half solid and half tube so that might help. for the 40 year old tone, id save about $50,000 for the 66 Fender P's. if you have an active bass and you turn all the tone and vol up and the amp on half(for me this works) i get his sound but it all depends on what your playing with and through.
    later
    Lukas

3. On my P bass, I found turning the tone knob on the bass to treble works. Then on your amp, set Low to about 0, Mid to -15 and High to +10. It seems to work pretty good for me.

And use a pick

4. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    ya Mike uses a pick that helps a helluva lot, i use a pick too so i forgot to mention it.
    later
    Lukas

5. His bass on the original song is a Fender P/J bass and for live versions during the early-mid 90's (the best period) he played a Gibson G3. Impossibly cool bass.