1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mike Dirnt Tone

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Zirc, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Well my band is doing a cover of When I Come Around and I was wondering what Dirnt (bassist of Greenday) does to his amp to get that tone he has when he plays the song. I tried one thing where I turned the tone on my bass all the way up, but all that you hear on the recording is a tinny fieldy sounding bass. Help me Dirnt fans!!! (I know you're out there).

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well mike has a 40 year old bass and a custom made rig. mesaboogie mb2000. half solid and half tube so that might help. for the 40 year old tone, id save about $50,000 for the 66 Fender P's. if you have an active bass and you turn all the tone and vol up and the amp on half(for me this works) i get his sound but it all depends on what your playing with and through.
    later
    Lukas

3. On my P bass, I found turning the tone knob on the bass to treble works. Then on your amp, set Low to about 0, Mid to -15 and High to +10. It seems to work pretty good for me.

And use a pick

4. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    ya Mike uses a pick that helps a helluva lot, i use a pick too so i forgot to mention it.
    later
    Lukas

5. His bass on the original song is a Fender P/J bass and for live versions during the early-mid 90's (the best period) he played a Gibson G3. Impossibly cool bass.