Mike dirnt VS grabber

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pthump, Jun 29, 2005.

Which bass?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2005.
  1. Mike dirnt Bass

45 vote(s)
  2. Gibson G-3 Grabber

43 vote(s)
  1. Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    Trying decide which bass I want. Primarily pick playing. Music is punk with a dancy feel. I play some melodic parts so want to be punching through the mix and be heard. any ideas?
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Grabber. i miss my grabber. :bawl:
  3. oo, Grabber for sure. They are soooo sweet!
  4. Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    Bump~! Show some love for the dirnt bass too
  5. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Go to www.myspace.com/havebluenyc and listen to my EP - I tracked it with a dirnt fingerstyle. The thing has a great pick sound as well. As far as the basses are concerned. The Dirnt is very high quality for a MIM fender - when you get one make sure you inspect the frets and the nut. As for the grabbers - I've never played one - but there has to be a reason that Mike doesn't still play one, especially live. I guess it depends what type of green day tone you ar going for. Dookie - and Insomniac i'd ge tthe grabber. American idiot - reach for the dirnt signature.

6. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I wouldn't play a Grabber for love nor money, but I did just buy a Mike Dirnt P last weekend.

And not because I even like Green Day.

It's a good bass at a good price and it looks uber-cool.
  7. Kenny from The Starting Line switches out between 3 different G3s. His tone is awesome.
  8. Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
  9. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    you mean my Grabber? :p
    I love that thing. It's become my go-to bass lately and I'm using it this week in the studio for our next batch of songs.
  10. Mike doesnt use the grabber anymore because the neck broke off...3 times!
  11. I love my G-3, and hate all Fender basses.
  12. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    Sounds like death from above 1979; guy has a grabber i believe.
  13. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Here's one for the Ripper.

I cannot even think of comparing a decent but still mass marketed, mass produced, plain vanilla,star fuc*ked, overpriced, imported bass that happends to hear the Fender name over a classic, solidly built, MIA, innovative piece of history that sounds better and has more vibe than most basses on the manufactured market today.

Not a diss to MD P players. Putting a 57 PU in a 51 body is a ein win situation, but let's face it, Fender is trading on MD's name...
  14. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Damn, Man some of you guys are pretty harsh. If you don't like the bass just say you don't like it. No need for all the other BS ya put in there.
  15. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    Fair enough. Again, no diss to the bass. The comparison just seems like apples to oranges to me (besides the fact that Drindt played both of them).
  16. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Again, Fender could have called it the Philboyd Studge Bagel Flavored Weasel Poop Bass for all I care about the "signature" thing. It doesn't say Mike Dirnt anywhere on it, which is perfect for me.

It's a great looking bass. Lots of retro vibe but without the inherent problems that some of us will admit the 50s and 60s Precisions had (clubby necks and loud buzzing come to mind). The Custom Shop pickup? Wonderful. I could really care less about the BA bridge...never had a big problem with standard Fender bridges myself, but okay, whatever.

Gibson basses were never and will never be my faves. The first "good" bass I owned was an EB and it wasn't good at all. I have been through one or two since then and none of them floated my boat.

So Rippers and Grabbers? I won't try to corner the market on those, but hey, go nuts. Basses are personal.

But there's really no reason to go nuclear on Fenders, or specifically the Dirnt P. It's a good solid P and it looks nice.

What more do you want? It's a freaking P bass.
  17. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    Whoa. I hope I didn't come across as going nukes on the MD bass. I think you just summed up my feelings for me-- it's a P bass with an endorsement attached. I dig P-basses, my first bass 21 years ago was a P knockoff and I just bought the same model off of ebay. But I go for more unique basses in geenral, so my vote was with the Ripper.
  18. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Oh well, look at me. I play Rumblefishes and Bongos and so on, plus a weirdish transparent green Stingray 5.

I just liked the look and the electronics of the MD Precision...and I, too, played a Precision for many years before my Weird Switch locked in the "on" position.

More alike than different, as is usually the case, eh?

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dirnt playing a Grabber live leads people to think he cut tracks with it. He didn't. At least on Dookie he didn't. That was all done with a vintage Precision he borrowed (I think he said it was a 67, but I'm not sure about that).

I would go for the Fender myself. I have never played a Gibson I liked.
  20. ROTFL

Finding a good price on a Grabber or Ripper is getting tougher and tougher, so good luck if that's your choice. The one Dirnt I played felt really nice, but I didn't plug it in.
    But what it boils down to is, all the opinions on talkbass combined won't help you. You need to have numerous examples of each bass in your hands, plugged into your amp, and preferably played with your own band to make an educated decision, which will mean unless you get really lucky you'll be buying and flipping basses for a while until you find the right one.
    There's a guy from CT who's been searching for the ultimate J-Bass sound who posts four or five ads a week on Harmony-Central. That's the kind of intestment in time and money you're looking at...some of us here flip basses constantly because it's fun or because we suffer from mental illness, but others do it to constantly refine their sound.