Mike Dirnt x Mark Hoppus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Damn_bassist, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Damn_bassist

Jul 14, 2005
    Hi all ,

Well its just curiosity but I really wanna know your opinion about these basses
    Which one do you prefer ?

Which sound in your opinion sounds better ?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Completely different monsters. They're both basses with a P-pickup with rosewood board. About the only similarity. Sounding better is up to your ears, but I'd take the Dirnt with the '59 Pickup and the fatter neck.
  3. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'd go with the Dirnt. The Hoppus is good but that single P pickup in a J body just looks goofy to me. The Hoppus does utilize a kick butt Quarter Ponder pickup, I will give it that.

The Dirnt's vintage '59 pickup is more my bag. The addition of the Badass II bridge is a nice plus as well. The Dirnt neck may be a bit fatter than the Hoppus but I'm not certain if it’s by much. After all, one of the other oddities of the Hoppus is that it’s a J body with a P neck.

But most of, I think that Dirnt axe in black or sunburst looks great! The Hoppus...well....

4. yes...tim is right...tone is subjective, but i'd take that dirnt anyday over the hoppus...even if i were to go as shallow as to compare looks!
  5. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yes, it should be about the tone and feel. If the Hoppus floats yr boat, then by all means, go for it. However, tell me that Dirnt axe doesn't look way cooler than the Hoppus. Petty? Silly? Hmm...perhaps, but come on...

6. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I say hoppus. I played the dirnt and I hated everything about it except the looks and the bridge. It was so heavy, so thick, I just hated the feel completely. It didn't even sound like I thought it would.

I've never played the hoppus, but playing jazz bass's and my brothers P-Bass I can get an idea of how the hoppus would feel. And I'd take the hoppus over the dirnt anyday.

The dirnt does look better until you start playing.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very true, the Dirnt's are VERY hit or miss. If you play a good one, your mind will change again.

Some are unbearably heavy, some are nice and light. The bridge is all a matter of taste, and I happen to favor the BA-II very much.
  8. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Sorry, but Surf Green just rocks my socks.
  9. MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    I'd like the Hoppus bass if it had J-pick ups in it. I love the whole p-bass neck, the pick-guard, and the surf green, but the p pickup just doesn't do it for me, but in this case I think I'd pick the dirnt because of the tele neck and BA II. my 2 cents
  10. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus

I like a tone knob..Sorry.
  11. utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    dirnt spoilt the bass. i mean the split-coil pup doesn't match the 51 style pickguard. at least the pickguard should have been removed. i would look a lot better.
  12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Both crap IMO..next question??
  13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I agree...he "spoilt" that beeotch silly Yo!!

14. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I like the mix of old and new and weird on some basses. I mean if it’s a '51 P yr looking for, then get a reissue or the Sting bass. The Dirnt axe takes a little of this and that to create something that nails what he's looking for and with any luck what we consumers are looking for as well. Its like taking a vintage axe and modding it to yr taste. I dig the Dirnt vintage look but with the modern functionality of a proper P pickup and more happening bridge. Guess it all really comes down to personal taste. I mean playability, tonal variety, and bang for buck, you'd likely get more out of a Korean/Chinese import (Schecter, LTD, & some Ibanez' come to mind). But one significant edge these MIM Fender's have other than the name on the headstock is character. The Dirnt axe has character. Even the Hoppus which I'm not much of a fan off definitely has its only interesting and slightly wacky vibe.

15. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I had a black Dirnt for a while and it sounded and played great. However it weighed 1000+ pounds so it's gone.
  16. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Definately the Dirnt. I've played both, and I NEED a tone knob. The dirnt is a much more versatile bass. It's basically a pbass with a propper bridge and an upgraded pickup. I also dig the '51 tele vibe.
  17. spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    most definitely the dirnt, it sounds awesome out of my b100r...
  18. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Chuck M and I both have Dirnts. Nice basses plus they look cool.
  19. Both horrible basses. Dirnt wins over all though, because Hoppus just sucks even worse.