Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Dirnt's Dookie Sound.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Davidoc, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Would anyone know how to configure my bass to get the closest to Mike Dirnt's Greenday Dookie sound?

My bass may not cut it, but I'm trying to get that cut-through-the-mix sound from dookie!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Perhaps you should tell us first what gear (bass and amp you have).

3. Thanks for the help;

I have a Yamaha RBX260 with Bartolini 8s pickups

in a matter of weeks, my main amp will be a Carvin PB200-15 Combo.

4. Canadianbassman

Canadianbassman Guest

Jan 20, 2001
    all i know is he uses a Gibson G-3 on dookie

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I thought his Gibson was a Ripper. Whatever it is he uses that and a ('70's?) Fender P. Regardless of the bass though, I think the most important part of getting Mike's sound would be the use of a pick.
    -Dan

6. Thanks for the advise JMX, bassman and Dan! Now I know better how to replicate that sound, What pickup config does the Gibson have?

7. dont know much about the gibson (is that the one from the "longview" video?)

but when my band does covers of Green Day i just pick up my p-bass and go. i still use my fingers on green day songs (with the exception of "blood sex and booze" and "welcome to paradise") because i seem to have a real hard time keeping my pick from flying away when im hitting the strings really fast

8. I'm pretty sure Mike Dirnt used a Fender Precision to record "Dookie." He also used an Ampeg SVT-II in the studio.. I remember Matt Freeman from Rancid saying he bought that amp after asking Green Day's producer what Dirnt used on "Dookie."