Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Dirnt's old bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Microbass, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Hey guys! it's me, LiL BaSs DuDe.. I'm back. Muhahah. :)

I am wondering about Mike D's (Green Day) old bass. I thikn it is a Gibson.. Does anyone know model/creator of such a lovely bass? And maybe a price tag? AND maybe where I could find one?

This is the bass he used for dookie/Insmoniac and I think the first albums too.

Any input welcome, thanks:D

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    it is a Gibson Grabber 3, or G3. its not made anymore so you wont be able to get one from Gibson, best bet is gbase.com or ebay. you could snag one for $400 up to $1400(out of the box, or thats what the seller said at gbase.com).

sorry to burst your bubble but he only used it on kerplunk and the earlier 1039 SOSH albums, on dookie he used a 68 (i think) fender p bass and after that he has always used a 66-69 fender p bass. he also played through a vintage ampeg amp if you were wondering.
    later
    Lukas

3. he did play it on atleast a few songs from dookie as far as i know.

If you want a similar sound get a vintage p (or a p with vintage pickups) and an ampeg or aguilar amp

4. No, Billie didn't buy him the P-bass until Nimrod :D

I think all the vids from insomniac and dookie have the old bass.

Thanks very much dudes. I'll go havea look on eBay and the website you suggested.

5. i thought it was a ripper, not a grabber, but i might be wrong.

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    No, I think it was a Grabber. The Rippers have two pickups and look a little bit different.

Also, Mike didn't start using P-Basses until nimrod. I remember reading an interview where he said he used the G-3 Grabber to get an extra punchy bass sound in Insomniac because they were going for a really big guitar sound on that record, but he switched to a P-Bass on Nimrod.

7. Told yah so :)

Billie got him the 68' P-Bass or soemthing for his birfday. It got stolen then he just used the other P-bass mentioned.

I found a Grabber on ebay.com. The neck is worn but still in good working condition. $100. Will cost quite some tob get it here too.. It's fretless.. Which I'm wondering if it'd be possible to get a fretted or a lined fretboard for not to much?

8. Also, I think he plays through a custom Mesa Boogie amp. But I don't know if he used it for Dookie. I think he did for Nimrod though.

9. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
  10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I don't know when he switched to a P bass, but I do know you can't always go by the video to tell what they played in the studio. Most bands use instruments chosen for their looks on videos, and they are often not the same bass that was used to record the song. Also, I know for a while live he played a Kramer aluminum neck bass, but I don't know if he ever used it in the studio.

11. Ahem! Well.. They must go through a lot of work for Billie's Strat in the video's ;)

Thanks for the link!

Anyone got any uidea how much a fretboard could be? Cheapest-Expensive.. would kind of wood etc

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you're talking about this one, it only has the single sliding pickup and will not sound the same as the G3 Grabber.
    [​IMG]

This is a G3, but is at $399 right now.

[​IMG]

13. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    he only borrowed the p bass.....he didnt own one till later.

he used the p bass on all recordings after kerplunk, including dookie, and the film clips have the grabber (ripper has a diff headstock, see the dude from nirvana for a ripper, or acdc) because he only borrowed the p bass.

i dont know of billie buying him one but its porbably true.
    his setup now is 68-69 p basses through a mb2000.
    later
    Lukas

14. OK, if Mikey did use a P-Bass for dookie, he still used the G3 at concerts whichstill had a very nice tone.

I found a Grabber'78 on the Bass Palace website - $350. I couldn't gte a picture big enouugh to see if it had the sliding pup. That G3 you have there.. who's selling it? ;)

The BP site seems to be down at the moment.

:(