Mike from Phish

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dj falkroy, Dec 27, 2000.

1. dj falkroy

dj falkroy

Dec 27, 2000
    I don't know if there are any Phish-heads on this site but if not I recommend you guys check out their bass player, Mike. He's got mad styles from funk to spaced out stuff to straight rock and everything in between. Plus all those guys are masters at improv, to me that is the real test of a musician. Thoughts?
  2. enderbass14

Sep 28, 2000
    i agree w/ u man, he's pretty cool.
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've always dug him too. Not super flashy, but really solid, and in numerous styles to boot (llama t'boot t'boot :D).
  4. dj falkroy

dj falkroy

Dec 27, 2000
    He always has a really solid tone that cuts through the mix live. I guess your tone better be good when you get your instrument custom made (Languedoc). Has anybody ever seen or heard the Disco Biscuits? I saw them in LA a while ago, I thought they were pretty good, but their bassplayer and drummer weren't really very original. They do kind of a live-instrumental techno thingy.
  5. jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    I don't know Disco Biscuits but I'll keep an eye out for them.

MikeG. is the man. I love the Picture of Nectar cd. His bass parts are just incredible. Billy Breathes is super too.
    Love his slap stuff. Saw him back in '92 at an outdoor show and his sound was mammoth.

I think he's playing Modulus basses nowadays.

Also I heard he directed an independent movie about a guitartist who starts studying with a new teacher that has a really philosphical approach to playing. Sounds excellent. Hope it gets released.
  6. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    WOO-HOO MIKE! Seen him 70+ times. too bad there is no tour for a while though. I saw Bisco a few weeks ago here in VA.
    I did'nt like em' There jams were really boring.
  7. soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    mike is great, he knwos exactly waht to play without taking about to much sapce, but he never undplays, he has great taste, and he can do some good work with switching between slapping and plucking. picture of nectar has some great bass on it (for example the afore mentioned lama, lol)
    and a live one is good bass stuff to.
  8. Love Phish. Mike is incredibly talented. I saw them twice and it was incredible. His styles vary so much, yet he keeps a solid groove. The Cactus (Mike)knows his stuff.
  9. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Hey 6-stringer.. How ya doin.. I am in Roanoke...Are you in Blacksburg? For some reason I think you are
    at Va. Tech. Anyway.. Nice to hear from someone in
    Va. Dan

[Edited by Bass7755 on 01-13-2001 at 11:51 PM]
  10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Mike's always been one of my very favorites--so tasty. Too bad there wasn't more of him in the Bittersweet Motel movie--there was WAY too much Trey!