Mike Gordon- Best Bassist ever?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by the Ernie, Feb 7, 2003.

1. the Ernie

the Ernie

Jun 16, 2002
    I love this guy. NOt only can he jam like no other bassist i know of but he can also hold his own with greats like Loe Kottke. Maybe Im just partial to him because im a phish phan but If you havent heard him yet I feel sorry for you. This guy plays some of the best music on the bass that ive ever heard and I definately put him atop my list. What does everyone else around here think of him?
  2. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    I agree 100%, between him and Phil Lesh they are the best..
  3. mike definitely rocks the casbah.* i really wish i had gotten tickets to go see them this month. oh well

*the clash reference is of no significance
  4. TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    Heard the work on a song, he wrote and recorded w/Warren Haynes and gov't mule! Not to familiar with his work, but if you could give some recomendations on Cd's from Phish!
    Take Care
  5. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Listening to Gordon, I get the impression that he was a (good) guitarist that took up the bass. Not just because he plays with a pick, but something about his style reminds me of when the guitarist I work with picks up my bass.
  6. the Ernie

the Ernie

Jun 16, 2002
    The thing about MIke is that he is a bass player that excells at the guitar and banjo as well. HIs primary instrument is the bass he just has his own unique style of playing it.
  7. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I think Mike's tastiest grooves can be found on The Story of the Ghost.
  8. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've been a "phan" for over 10 years, and was lucky enough to catch Phish at a nightclub and a very small college auditorium on a couple of their infrequent forays into the south, back before they started packing arenas... I've never been a hardcore fan, but I get mistakenly labelled that way by others since I've been listening to them a long time.

I agree Gordon is great, but I wouldn't put him among the greatest... sorry. :(
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Nice intelligent, sounding guy. Versatile in that he is a musician and also into the cinematography thing. An artist. Repectable bassist. He is also a great interview. Among the best bassists ... you have to be joking ...
  10. Definately a great bassist who can jam like none other, but I wouldnt label him up there with Wooten or Jaco. He is about the top of the line mid quality bassist IMO. IM not saying he is bad, I love phish and I love his playing. He is just not one of my top picks.
  11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I agree with Secretdonkey.
    I seen him with Leo Kottke, didn't float my boat.
    Maybe It's me?
  12. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    I saw Mike play with Gov't Mule late last year and although he was good, I felt that Chris Wood (who also played that night) blew him away.

13. althought i am a HUGE phish phan, i will say that lesh is better than gordon...i do like the dead better than phish.

if your not familiar with phish and want to get into them, dont buy studio albums...too restricting

buy or download live recordings
  14. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Yes, that is a good idea. Mike really is in his own as a live bassist. I never got how good he is until I got A Live One. After I got that, he is defintley one of my top ten fav. bassists.
  15. Mike Gordon is definately a great bassist. In fact, everybody in Phish is great. I just saw them recently, and Mike Gordon had this little foot-operated bell. In the middle of one of the songs, he started to stomp on it with one foot on every down beat. I really got a kick out of it. :D
  16. The best? Not even close.
    Pretty darn good? Undoubtedly.
  17. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Put down the bong, listen to some Jamerson and Jaco, and ask yourself that subject question again.
  18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I personally can't stand Phish, and I find Mike's playing to be boring and souless. *waiting to get butt kicked*

Those guys do have chops though, and I really tried to like them, but no matter how well they play I find that I just don't care what they are playing. It doesn't reach me at all. Sorry.
  19. Babadingding, "you took the words right outa my mouth".....
  20. wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    yeah he is definitely not the best at anything. just average. he is like the mark hoppus of jam bands. not that great. just has tons of money.