1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mike Gordon - chess geek

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Mike's Pawn

On September 10, 1995 Phish challenged its audience to a tour long game of chess, with a different audience member making a move onstage each set. The result: a tie. Last night, Mike Gordon once again played chess with the Phish faithful, this time online. Organized by the OhKeePa message board, a number of fans communally played Gordon at www.pogo.com. After a few strenuous typing sessions, Gordon proved victorious with a checkmate. The former Phish bassist's next scheduled appearance is April 20 at the sixth annual Jammy Awards.

2. Ahhh Mike. What a character that one. Gotta be one of the coolest guys out there, as well as one of the coolest and most individual players. I would love to take him on (I of course mean get my butt kicked by him) in chess. Then maybe a bass lesson.:D

3. yeah, i remember that phish chess game...i have the final score on recording on my live at MSG 12/31/95 recording

Mike Gordan is an incredible bass player imo, but i'd never take him on in chess...i am horrible :)

4. jokerjoe23

jokerjoe23

Apr 18, 2006
    Gamehenge
    Mike Gordon is da bomb!:bassist:

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Hey, how's the audio on your discs? Mine is for crap. I do have set 3 on dvd though, hehe - Wanna trade?
    It's sick: they're all dressed up in lab coats and they're doing weird experiments on stage...then they put 'Father Time' into this box and he (Fishman) comes out as 'Baby New Year'. He proceeds to play the drums wearing a silly bonnet and sash (and possibly diapers, I don't know). Trey is on Fire. Mike is in fine form - pants rolled up, slapping away on his Languedoc and playing with his fingers a lot. The video quality isn't great but the audio is in 5.1...it's definitely worth seeing especially if you've never seen them on the trampolines during YEM! Who else bounces in time on a trampoline while playing bass?

6. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    i met mike last week.......went to burlington, VT for disco biscuits show. I was eating at Ri Ra's, an irish pub on church street downtown . I was eating outside, he walked right past me and i had to introduce and just thank him. That whole state knows the man and he walks through the center of town and no one hassles him they all smile and wave its amazing.

7. actually my quality is very good...i bought the set at sam goody's closout sale for like 10 bucks for 3 discs...very good cd...i bet the DVD is awesome (you only have set 3 on DVD?)...and yes, I have seen them on the trampolines, it is pretty fun to see, especially at the concert i was at (i don't know if thats when they always pull out the trampoline) because Mike and Trey were both bouncing at the same time, but they were both bouncing against the song's tempo, which was very impressive!
    I was reading an old trey interview the other day and he said that in the early days of phish they would do their usual band practice, but one of the exercises they did was to have fish play in 4, mike in 5, trey in 7, and page in 3...basically they all jam in different time sigs, and they used that to safeguard against onstage trainwrecks in case someone got "off" i thought that was a cool idea...it sounds like they do that a little bit in the end of "Demand" off their "Hoist" cd...i think it sounds cool :)
    I think a lot of people just kind of blow Phish off as a "drug band" but mike and the gang actually were very capable musicians (I've never heard a louder applause for "Hello my baby" :))