Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Gordon rumors

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by catphish, Aug 18, 2003.

1. catphish

catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    What's the deal? I can't find anything online and the news is over here (Chicago). Rumors are flying all over the web. I don't want to believe.

Anybody got any info?

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Yes, the rumor is true...he was on the cover of this month's Hightimes. I guess this answers the question once and for all that he smokes dope.:eek: :D
    I must live under a rock, but then again, not really a die hard fan of Phish. What rumors are you referring to?

3. catphish

catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    Exclusive: Phish On The Hook
    Band's Bassist Gordon Accused Of Child Endangerment

POSTED: 10:22 p.m. EDT August 18, 2003
    UPDATED: 12:07 a.m. EDT August 19, 2003

NEW YORK -- A Phish is on the hook for endangering the welfare of a minor after he allegedly tried to take pictures of a young girl inside a deserted boathouse. But following private conversations between the band's manager and the child's parents, there's a question about whether the band's bassist, Mike Gordon, will avoid facing that charge.

Gordon, 38, was arrested after being found late at night in a secluded area with a 9-year-old girl. The girl's parents raised an alarm when she disappeared from a backstage area at Jones Beach Theater.

New York State Park Police say Gordon showed a different side after a concert last week by The Dead. Investigators say Gordon -- who calls himself "Cactus" -- was an invited guest backstage at Jones Beach. He was not invited, they say, to take a 9-year-old girl to an isolated location behind the theater.

"The area is actually like a work area for state employees who operate boats out of that area," said Maj. Richard O'Donnell, of the New York State Park Police. "It's a darkened area, not intended for public access."

O'Donnell, who is the region's commanding officer, would not discuss what the bass player told officers when he was found with the child on a dock. But a police report obtained by NewsChannel 4 reveals "The defendant stated he wanted to take 'art photos' of the victim."

Police confirm that Gordon has never been convicted of any crime. Law enforcement sources said that after the band member was arrested, he told officers, "I may have shown bad judgment, but I am not a pedophile."

The Law enforcement sources identify the girl's father as a leader of the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Club, whom they say had also been invited backstage to watch The Dead concert. Gordon was held for police by theater security "and the victim's father's associates -- which the police report decribes as other Hell's Angels members.

When responding to a request for an interview, Phish's manager e-mailed a joint statement from Gordon and the child's parents that reads: "It is now clear to all involved that this was an unfortunate misunderstanding, and we look forward to putting this matter behind us."

Later, in a conference call, the manager said Gordon's trying to "make amends" with the family. The girl's father added that "muckraking journalists should put the story to rest."

Both declined to discuss whether the musician is paying compensation.

When asked by NewsChannel 4 if there was any reasonable explanation for Gordon to have been with the girl at 1:00 AM in a secluded boat house, Maj. O'Donnell of the State Park Police said "I have no explanation for it."

The commander says he "absolutely" stands by the police investigation and has referred the bass player's boathouse rendezvous case to the Nassau County district attorney for prosecution.

The DA's office says the evidence is being evaluated. Regardless of whether Gordon has to face a judge next month, law-enforcement sources say unofficial justice was already delivered. The Hell's Angels, who detained Gordon for police, were not, the sources say, gentle with sensitive areas of the rock star's body.

4. And of course no one is going to so anything to the member's of H.A.

Sounds like another case of Media overhype.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i really don't know what to think of this.

:(

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Pardon the pun, this sounds a little 'Phishy'? (man, I had to say that)

Catphish,

Man, This is a tough one... with many angles.

Granted Cact is a very bright man, and having known that for over 30 years the H A's have been security for many groups (dead, dylan, stones, jgb...) and they don't mess around... It would be assumed that his intentions could be innocent and harmless. Plus, who in their right mind would tick-off the daughter of a hell's angels club member?

On the other hand, someone that is deranged by feelings of pedophilia... there is no telling what rationale that they might be dealing with. Who knows what 15 or more years of 'road wear' might have done...

I hope for his sake and the sake of his adoring Phish-fans that this is just a large misunderstanding.

As for the "muckraking journalists"... Media has always been a tough and heartless 'bed-fellow' to all of the pessimism in society and can be really spin something like this out of control... sometimes for the sake of the almighty dollar. (ratings...)IMHO (used to work in the industry!)

As for "...were not, the sources say, gentle with sensitive areas of the rock star's body...":

It is tough to explain the finer points of 'art' to members of the Hell's Angels... While they are kicking your ass and doing a number on your 'sensitive areas'(balls):eek:.

relman,

Nope, the Hell's Angels will probably not get prosecuted...

To many, they are considered an enduring heritage that represents freedom and unity, a US icon that is both celebrated and feared...

7. catphish

catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    Dug this up from another site. It seems fairly plausable...

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    my sources...my good friend of 7 years...my friends uncle (head of mounted police) & jones beach security guard...friend of friend....

"mike was giving everyone under the sun (from adults to kids) rides on his IT segway....silly lil scooter.....the mother of the 9 yr old allowed this to happen.....this "Secluded Boathouse", is neither secluded or a boathouse..there was two normal jones beach secuirty guards there...in case people wanna sneak into the show...(secret entrance).... mike was just taking pictures of the girl on his segway....not good judement , but nothing
    to get crazy about... ...after ten minutes the girls mother starts freakin out..."were's my daughter"....(mind you the mother was induced with something, eyes bulging, lip biting..typical white trash mom)....mother
    calls her husband, a hells angel....ten minutes later there are 5 angels making their way through security.....mike is confronted...grabbed by the thoat and on his knees getting kicked at......the VIP security guards got in the middle and explained that mike was a celeb, and was a film maker.....the
    funniest part is this...the angels wanted to break his segway, so the one secuirty guard put it in his car and its been sitting in wantagh for the last week and a half.....after all of this the daughter explained nothing happended and that was that...long story short...bad judgement, unlucky for mike the girls dad was a druggy/hells angel, a quick rush to judgement, few kicks to the nizzuts,,,,"my bad"....move on.... "

8. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    ^^some people like links to the site, and see the update sometimes

10. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    "Some people" and "Sometimes"...

Yeah dude, you are absolutely right!

It just came across as redundant at first to me...

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    All I can say is that is a VERY strange story.

12. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    im with cactus....at least i hope so

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Mike Gordon's solo album comes out tuesday the 26th.......perfect timing:confused:

14. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

I know what a PR nightmare....

:eek:

15. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    I wonder if Pete Townsend is on the album?

16. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Clever! :D

17. I believe R Kelly and Gary Glitter make a guest apperance as well.