Mike Gordon sound? (phish)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deadphish, Oct 2, 2004.

1. deadphish

Oct 2, 2004

I currently play a mexi-fender in a phish tribute band. I go through a GK 400rb and 2 10's. It sounds pretty good but Mike from Phish has a much more active/modern sound. Any recommendations on a bass upgrade ( 5 string). I have about 1000 to spend.

I played a Shecter that was active and neck thru at GC that sounded very good. It had that "modern" sound too it. It was only $649 (ticket price) and I thought that was a little low...lol. Should I be afraid of Schecters for any reason? They are made in Korea but have a lifetime warranty.

Any advice on this subject at all is welcome. If you know Phish then you know what I am going for. How can I get there without spending thousands upon thousands?
  2. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    What rig does he use? the only way to sound like him is to play a bass that sounds like the one he has.
    i know he plays gibson thunderbird and modulus basses for one
  3. deadphish

Oct 2, 2004
    Yes, his c urrent bass is a Mod Q5. I dont think I can afford to sound like that. Unless I go with this Peavey that had a graphite neck ($899).

His older bass was a custom (made by his soundman) with a koa body and morch pickups from denmark.

His sound is definitely active and 5 string of course. I would like to have 24 frets and NO BUZZING from the frets or the electronics.
  4. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    buzzing is your fault. it means you didnt set it up properly...lol and just because you have a graphite neck doesnt mean you will sound like mike. take your grand, put it in a bank account you dig? then save and keep putting money in and don't touch it until you find a bass that you really like, then wait a week, and if you are not sick of thinking about it, get it. that is the cure for G.A.S.
  5. deadphish

Oct 2, 2004
    LOL...what does GAS stand for????

What about the Schecter stiletto studio 5? It seems like a really good value and I need to get a 5 string. I'm gonna search for this bass on here, too.
  6. goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Mikes sound comes from a lot of things. He used an eden wt800 through an eden 4x10, but he has a meyer dual 18" sub. On studio albums your hearing a more processed tone, but its mostly him playing with a modulus and a pick.
  7. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    gas is i Believe Gear Acquisition Syndrome. It basically means what bass or instrument you really really want. like right now im gassing for a F bass, and a nordstrand, and an alembic, and a Huff, and a Browne, and a Hill, and another F bass, And a fodera, and a mosrite, and a Kay upright, and a 69 P bass, and a 58 p bass, and a 67 Jazz bass, and a wal bass, and a gibson Eb2, and a Gibson RD artist, and another Rickenbacker, and another rickenbacker (ya can't have too many you dig?) a steinberger, and an old Dano bass, and a Dan Armongstron Plexi-p bass, and a thunderbird, and a whole lotta conklins, and a whole lotta benaventes, and a gretsch broadkaster, and a gibson Eb-1, and status buzzard. and a Zon Hyperbass, and a Zon Vinny, and a ahhhh out of breath.....
    and throw in a couple of Warwicks for good measure...
  8. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Wow.... That's a LOT of GAS!!! You need some help. :eek:

9. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    well im sure in 50 years my credit is gonna need some help...
  10. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Wait a second - which era Phish stuff are you playing? Cuz if you just try and match equipment, then you'll need a G & L and that crazy custom Dragon bass that someone mentioned.

At least I hope you're not just doing the recent stuff! Recently I guess he's been playing exclusively with a pick, but when I used to go see them, he used all kinds of right hand techniques - fingers, pick, slapping. Actually, I don't remember if he played with his fingers much - it was a long time ago! But definitely on stuff like "Foam" or "Tweezer" he slapped. The fact that he didn't stick to just one technique was one of the reasons he was one of my favorite bassists (Dave Schools from Widespread Panic is another one that used different right-hand techniques).

I would suggest forgetting about the graphite and getting a 5-string that feels good to you. A search would probably turn up discussions of good 5-strings under $1000. And remember, it's only going to sound as good as your amp/DI box/etc., so don't go too nuts!
  11. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    he definitely still slaps, but mostly just uses picks. im pretty sure that for that effect that makes his bass sound "wet" or underwater, he uses a bassballs.
  12. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You might not be able to get a good used Q5 on your budget, but a gently used Peavey Cirrus should satisfy all of these requirements, including your budget. :)
  13. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    You guys are forgetting One important thing. Mike uses Flats. The combo of flats and a pic give him the sound he gets.
  14. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yeah, you nailed it. Flats on a graphite neck with a pick is quite an impressive sound. He always talks about how he wants his bass to sound like knocking on wood.

He's definitely my favorite bassist, and the one I've listened to the most. I'll just throw in that his recent shows with The Duo have allowed him to really stretch out like I haven't heard in Phish (well, the end of Phish). It's organ, drums and Gordo (no pesky guitarists :smug: ). If you guys like Mike I highly recommend finding these shows (Headcount and Moe.down). He gets a lot of solos! If he actually "joins" this band they will most likely take over the world. They can get pretty weird so he's been using the Deep Impact a lot and some crazy Phaser I think.

On another great Cactus note: I just downloaded a Max Creek show w/ Mike sitting in - 11-7-97. I think that was right around when he got the Q5. Anyway, they do a Sly cover (Thank You) and it's got some really funky slap stuff. Larry Graham would be proud.
  15. deadphish

Oct 2, 2004
    I am actually going for the older Mike sound. When he finger picked and played on the dragon bass which I believe was made of koa and of course had the 18 volt active pickups. I am really thinking the Schecter for $650 has everything I need and the majority of folks around here seem to think it is a decent instrument.

The Cirrus sounds like a good option, too.

BTW, I am only playing through a GK 400rb with 2 10's combo amp. I bought that before I got into Mike and was playing mostly acoustic gigs. Think I need to change that too?
  16. deadphish

Oct 2, 2004
    Did he used to use flats before the Modulus? I seem to remember him endorsing DR strings back in the mid 90's. I assumed they were probably hi-beams or something. Does DR make flats?

I actually love flats. The first strings I put on my "fendero" were fender flats and I thought they would be really dark and mellow. Boy was I surprised! They had some seriously good sound to them. I would love to start playing on them again if I can confirm that Mike has always used them.
  17. deadphish

Oct 2, 2004
    I beleive that is a Dr. Q and/or Lovetone meatball. I'll be getting those from ebay. As well as some of his processing gear that I know about (ADA MB-1, Sonic Maximizer).
  18. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    where'd you get that? I'd like to hear it too...
  19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think it's great that you found the tone you want, but be forewarned that owning identical gear, or even playing through his gear won't make you sound exactly like him. Shoot to be close and then add something original to it, that will be "your" tone.

Also, make sure you are buying stuff you like and take the fact that your idol uses them as an added bonus. Don't buy something just because he has one.

But you probably already know all that. So good luck in your search.