1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mike Gordon this Halloween. HUGE bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Nightlyraider, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    I don't know if there were any other TB'ers in Atlantic City with me this weekend; but Phish played at Boardwalk Hall three nights in a row. I was camped right in front of the soundboard on the floor and experienced one of the biggest single bass notes ever witnessed I think.

Finishing the Saturday night's encore with Tweezer Reprise > Whole Lotta Love tease, Mike dropped a huge bomb 30ish seconds into the song.

There are fan recorded versions on youtube, but if you can find a soundboard version and have good speakers it is pretty crazy. The whole arena was moving.

/justin bieber plays there on the 19th
    //not going back for it

2. just found this on youtube. pretty epic bass

3. woah--thats the new source audio bass distortion isn't it? (of course running through a sweet eden/meyer rig!)

4. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    I think it was a big combination of things peaking all at once, you can hear as the different layers of harmonics fade away into a clean bass note.

5. itswac

itswac

Nov 24, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Endorsing Artist/Product Line Manager: Source Audio Effects
    At first I wanted to say why yes OF COURSE that epic bass note was the result of using a Source Audio effect but when I listened to the video I couldn't really hear what you were describing.

HOWEVER, someone posted THIS VIDEO which has really great audio and a spectacular zoom.

I can tell from listening to it that Mike is getting the grit and size on that big bass note by using the multiband foldback setting on the Multiwave Pro which you can see in his rig. Then it looks like he uses the expression pedal to morph into a singleband setting for those more melodic lines.

Thanks for cluing us in on this performance...it's definitely going up on our website!

6. What is his rig?
    I think I see an Eden head and 4X10 cab.

That was a MASSIVE sound there at 30 seconds and again at 40 seconds.

7. itswac

itswac

Nov 24, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Endorsing Artist/Product Line Manager: Source Audio Effects
    In this video, I can see:

Soundblox Bass Envelope Filter
    Lovetone Meatball
    Soundblox Pro Multiwave Bass Distortion

8. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    He does indeed use the Preamp section of an Eden WT 800, (and I believe powers the eden 210/410 he chooses as a side wash with a second 800 in one of the smaller racks on the side).

For his back of house sound he is actually driving Meyers Sound Labs 218s with a top monitor on each. The Meyers are like a very high end Bergantino IP, with varying crossovers and an easy $8-10k a cab price range.

9. Col Pruse

Col Pruse Supporting Member

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    looks like some fun shows!

BUst out your copy of 6/24/2000 (There's probably plenty more, but this one popped in my head when I read the OP). Mike is all over that Tweeprise. NOt sure what he used before the Soundblox but it sounds pretty sweet. Antelope and tweezer from this show are also monsters.

10. Much better video than the one i found. being both high quality and the sound is better. great bass sound, it seems to sound like much of it is coming from the subs hes using just by the sheer sound of it.

11. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    Those big Meyers 18s are +/-4dB from 28-100hz, and I can tell you from watching the sound board monitors at the show that the lowest bands on the 64band visual EQ were easily 3dB higher than the rest of the entire spectrum.

Finally giving mike some love.