Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Gordon...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by relman, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Nobody ever talks about him...i really like his approach to bass and his sense of melody...it's too bad that he's not loud enough in the mix live...

any other fans here?

2. Mike Gordon supposidly shot a video for the "deep end" recording session with Government Mule. Anyone know about this? If you don't know about "the deep end" check it out...a different bassist on every track including:
    Flea
    Steffan Lessard
    Willie Weeks
    Tony Levin
    Mike Gordon
    Larry Grahm
    Oteil
    etc...

3. I love his playing. He generates so many ideas. A picture of Nectar is one of my favorite bass albums.

4. from the other thread (and slightly off-topic)

That's AudioVENT. Good stuff.

(back on topic)

Mike Gordon is an incredible player. I just love listening to any of his stuff.

5. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I think Picture of Nectar is the best Phish album. I gave up on them after Hoist but their live stuff is pretty interesting.

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Mike is a fine player. His lines are so well orchestrated and are never overbearing.

I am looking forward to them getting back together. It's not a matter of "if" - it's a matter of "when".

7. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    He has a distinctive style. When I heard the Gov't Mule CD with him on it you can definetely tell it was him.

I think the number of music styles Phish plays on Picture of Nectar is awesome. Anybody recommend some newer stuff, other than the live CD's, worth picking up.

8. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    I'm a longtime Phishhead and, believe it or not, my personal fave is "Billy Breathes". A really amazing CD that features Gordon's most consistently creative lines, IMHO.

My least favorite is "Story of the Ghost", though there is some good stuff on it ("Moma Dance", for example).

Farmhouse is decent and is actually almost more like their older stuff. A little more jammy and than recent efforts.

9. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    One of the reasons why Mike is not so talked about is because of the lack of "flash" in his playing. This same factor is the main reason that Mikes playing is so attractive.

It is not magic, or inspiration, or even a feeling, that causes Mike to create simple yet powerful lines. It is a long time development of the concept of how to best enhance the music being played at a given time.

Mike's ability to create a good functional line using the minimum of pitches and rhythms is a big part of why Phish jams so well on stage. In a magazine article, Mike once talked about his learning to refine his playing into the bare essentials of supplying a groove. i.e. GOOD EARS! & NO preconceptions.

I too appreciate Mike's mature playing.

Jim Stinnett

10. i think that he hardly plays the bare minimums, he can is a great player he just knows when to play a lot and when to lay back, check out a live disc with weekapaug groove on it. he has a sweet slap intro. i also like how he plays songs like guyote, the intro, how he interacts with trey on guitar. That i why i love listening to phish, because they are just so tight as a band and they all know how to play.

nate

11. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i really enjoy mike's playing, too. you can't judge his playing listening to their studio albums. phish is definately a "live" band.

12. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Mike is a awsome player. Check out the live albums! I love what he does on wolf mans brother as well!

13. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
  14. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I'll have to say that Mike's my biggest influence. I've seen him play over 60 times for god's sake. Gordo's playing is the perfect balance of melody and pocket. And that sweet crystaline tone. Can't wait to see a solo project from him.

15. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Has he said he was going to come out with a solo project? I would like to see him and the drummer do somthing together! Because as impressive as gorden is so is the drummer! I love the snare rolls he does!

16. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    He's great... been in my influences list for a long while. He is a great bass player in that he knows how to stay pocket when he needs too, but can play out and fill any void in a song. I especially like the line in "Free" when he uses the bass wah.

17. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Jim: Mike is a former student of yours? Without sounding like an insufferable suckup, that speaks VERY highly of you, man (of course, since you teach at Berklee, I'm sure he's one of many greats)!

By the way, what kind of bass are you playing in that picture?

18. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    PB,

Thanks for the compliment.

The bass I played at the Phish concert is an Alembic. I forget the model.

Although I do teach at Berklee, Mike took lessons for a number of years at my house. Contrary to some rumors, Mike did not attend Berklee.

I was Mike's only teacher and he has been kind enough to give me much credit.

From Bass Player Magazine:

"Phish Tale: At a Phish concert in Worcester, Mass., bassist Mike Gordon (left) was joined onstage for a bass jam by one of his former Berklee College of Music professors, Jim Stinnett. "He's my teacher and mentor," said Gordon after the show. "Having Jim perform with us is something I've looked forward to for a long time."

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  19. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    You were Mike's bass teacher? What a trip! That's the Centrum in Worcester I'm guessing. Great venue. I saw Phish at the Centrum in 94'. (i think)
    Bet it was big fun jamming with those guys. And, Kudos to you sir, for teaching the jam bassist of all time. :D

20. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire

Thank you for your applause.

Yes, it was the Centrum in 1995.

It was great fun to be a rock star for one night.

I have many photos from the Phish show. When I figure out how to get them on line, I'll let you know.

Can I be so bold as to promote myself? Check out my website:

http://www.jimstinnett.com

Two of my books are a result of the material I created while teaching Mike.