Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Gordons Tone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by schmittuml, Feb 15, 2006.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    Ok Ok, im sure plenty of people ask this.......i know enough about Cactus to know his style. I know he uses a pick, a lovetone and a deep impact in his earlier days, i now hes got like 2 21" meyer subs and he sues a WT800B ith 2 410XLT's when hes touring with the duo.....I know his style and all that, i'm wondering how he EQ's his tone? I know a lot of it is creddited to his pick mute type of style and a modulus quantam 5, just wondergin what EQ you think could get me similar...

I'm using an elrick gold 5 through a 410XLT or a Berg 215......with a GK head but soon to be eden.

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I'll just throw in that in his early days he used to have an ADA preamp (key for that DWD sound), BF2 Flanger, Tubescreamer and NYC Bassballs ..sometimes a Dr. Q and later the Octabass. I've also seen him using an Ampeg SVT5 in his Phish days. I have no idea how he eq's on his amp - but I like it...pretty similar in tone to Phil Lesh IMO.
    He needs to do a studio album w/ the Duo so badly.
    Oh, don't forget the flatwounds!

3. BenKrishman

BenKrishman

Feb 15, 2006
    He uses flatwounds? I always thought he used lo-rides? Anyway, mike's tone is incredible, I wish I could sound like that, or even just groove like he can.

4. Alot of his "tone" comes from the basses he plays--Modulus.

5. Get rid of the elrick and get a Modulus. Mod necks offer a unique tone.

6. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    I did just get the elrick and am diggin it but i gave up a mod flea and i do want a quantam somewhere....... him and phil lesh are what i strive for in tone and groove......just F***ing beautiful

7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yeah, thats how he gets that 'thump' (along with some good muting). He describes his sound as knocking on wood - It was in some bass player mag a few years ago.
    And yes, he is the groovemeister.
    I love that quote of his...
    In order to have that incredible groove that makes you dream, you have to not think about the groove, but think about the dream.
    :bassist: