Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Gordon's "Yoctoplate"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Mods can move this if need be.

In the newest issue of Relix (it's a Phish special) theres a very interesting article by Mike Gordon. Has anybody else read this?!
    He talks about his invention - the Yoctoplate. Says he's been using it since '98 . I wish I could post the whole thing on here. He goes into a lot of techno-babble about the device that goes inside his bass between the pickups. I forget what he says that it actually does - but that's not important. He cites it as the reason for Phish's perceived tightness around that time. I had to read the whole thing twice before I figured out that it's total b.s. What a weirdo. He said Trey wanted one too, but 2 Yoctoplates in 1 band might be a little too much ;) Only Mike could invent a fake effect. I wonder how many people bought it.

2. Actually, it's an effect. It effects the sound of the bass/band/overall music. So, it IS important what it does! and I wanna know, damn it!

3. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    No way! I mean he did sound like he knew what he was talking about and all - It was totally toungue in cheek though. Maybe the jokes on me :confused:
    I'll see if I can scan it tomorrow and post it on here...

4. Just re-read your post, I get it now... but if it's duct tape and tin foil, I'm gonna be angry...

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Hell, maybe it is real. I'll re-read it tonight and bring it to "work" and try to scan it tomorrow.

6. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I don't think it's real...I was fooled at first too-- mainly because of the detailed images... but I think he's pulling our leg. classic mike.

7. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    mikes the man

i gotta get that issue of relix

8. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
  9. i don't know what you guys are talking about, i bought one back in '99 from musciansfriend.com...i think they stopped carrying them in early '02...i love mine, i don't play a gig with out it! ;)