1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mike Grondahl (Jeff Buckley's bassist on Grace)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lamonica78, Oct 2, 2008.

1. lamonica78

lamonica78

Feb 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I just recently discovered Jeff Buckley....not quite sure why it took me so long to finally check him out, but in any event I'm really glad I finally heard him. Such a shame that the world lost a voice like his.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew what Mike Grondahl's set up was on the recording of Grace. I love his tone on that album. Fantastic bassist and definitely an underrated one in my opinion.

2. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I just want to echo your sentiment about the world losing an amazing talent. Fortunately, there's a fair amount of Jeff's material available now, including boxed sets and video clips. There may be some production info buried in the liner notes. I'll see if I can dig up anything for you later tonight.

3. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Jeff's music is incredible - and his live show was unbelievable! I saw him open up for Juliana Hatfield many, many years ago (in Philly, no less) and his set was killer. When it was Juliana's turn, she came on and said something to the effect of "how do you top that?". It's a shame he's no longer with us...

I know Grondahl always played a Jazz. Not sure of his amp setup, unfortunately.

I would like to know what type of overdrive he used on the 'Eternal Life' track off of 'Grace', though. That's the sound I think of when I think overdrive!

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    His amps on the Live in Chicago dvd are a Mesa Boogie Road Read 1x15 with a Road Ready Powerhouse 1000 on top (You know the 4x10 and 1x15 in a single cab) with a Mesa Boogie 400+ on top and he was using a jazz bass in a lovely faded white/yellowy

5. brandau

brandau

Jan 30, 2008
    NYC
    I saw him back in the day using a Mesa 400 and Mesa Powerhouse cap with his Jazz bass. Had a pretty aggressive sound as to be expected.

6. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    This thread has delivered.

7. lamonica78

lamonica78

Feb 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Awesome, thanks for the info! I'm going to have to check out that Chicago DVD as well as all of the live material. Oh, + 1 for Eternal Life. My band is actually considering covering it, so if any of you find out what kind of overdrive he used that would be great.

8. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    If you get a chance to watch Jeff Buckley live, do so. I used to love his music until I did. That man stroked himself on stage to the point of being annoying.

His bassist is really good and has great tone as well.

9. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    With all due respect (and not to get too far off topic), but isn't that what a frontman/lead singer is supposed to do, more or less? What exactly do you mean by "stroked himself on stage"? I'm pretty sure you don't mean it in the literal sense... :bag: :smug:

It's funny, when I saw them live I didn't get that impression at all - he was definitely "in the moment", so to speak, but I didn't take it as ego at all. Just passionate about the music - which is a good thing, no? :)

10. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Fenderhutz, though perhaps you could have expressed it more respectfully, I understand exactly what you mean. My comment is based entirely on the Live in Chicago DVD, which is the only live footage I've seen of him. He definitely seems imbalanced in that video.

I will defer to other posters who actually got to see him in person. Just saying that I found the performance on that one particular DVD to be disturbing.

11. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    There always was, IMO, a vaudevillian/theatrical aura around Jeff. Maybe it wasn't his ego so much as his stage persona.
    Just my two cents...

12. scuoco

scuoco

Jun 3, 2009
    Boston
    I'd bet that's a Rickenbacker on Eternal Life.

13. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    I'm so glad somebody posted this. I agree completely. I love his basslines on "Last Goodbye" and "Lover, you should have come over". Kudos to Mike if you're reading this :)

14. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Another zombie thread awakens!

I was actually listening to Grace a good deal during the summer. It's a great record! And Jeff definitely had something special. His cover of "Hallelujah" is nothing short of amazing.

Mike's bass part on "Last goodbye" has a great sense of groove. And I also think he's tuned down to open D on the E string.

15. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    I watched "Live in Chicago" for the first time in many years last night - Mick's bass is a transitional 1966 Jazz with a matching headstock, bound neck, and DOT inlays - a rare bird for sure!