Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Inez's gear

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by qsoxy, Jun 1, 2001.

1. qsoxy

qsoxy

May 4, 2001
    Anybody know what kind of bass and rig that Mike Inez used for Ozzy and AlicenChains?

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Spector basses and Ampeg amps.

3. Ironically, Mike Inez used the same bass/rig setup (Spector/Ampeg) as original A.I.C. bassist Mike Starr!

4. qsoxy

qsoxy

May 4, 2001
    Ampeg...anybody know specifically how he achieved his tone for the intro to "no more tears"? Maybe I should call him up.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Dosen't he use Warwick basses, also?

6. More recently, Mike Inez plays Warwick and Spector 5's and Spector 4's.

7. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    Does anyone know what Mike Inez used when he was with Heart? (crazy on you)

8. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Bob Daisley actually played on "No More Tears".

9. Is it me or all the good basslines of OZZY were played by Bob Daisley???

rasicci likes this.
  10. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    I'm with ya on that....

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

When I used to have my NS4CRFM, I'd tune down half a step, turn up the Gain on my amp, step on my bass chorus, and I'd nail it. It sounds okay in standard, but when you go down half a step, that open D (I think it is! haven't played this lick in forever...), it's just perfect.

12. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    AMEN to the most underated guy around. Where would Ozzy be without Bob's playing and writing no less. That's what makes their attempts to discredit him, rerecord albums with new bass/drums, etc. all the more sad.

13. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    FYI, Mike Inez has played Warwick Streamers for a number of years. I saw a Heart Live TV show on PBS recently and he was playing two different Warwick Streamers, no Spectors :crying: .
    I think he had an Ampeg rig, but I'm not sure if my memory is 100% on that one.

14. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    He was playing the Warwicks in AIC as just as he does now in Heart. The music video for "What The Hell Have I" definetly shows a Spector, but later on he was using a Warwick.

I saw that PBS Heart show, Mike was indeed using an Ampeg. He's also in one of those Ampeg pull out posters from Bass Player magazine.

15. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I love you people -Bob Daisley- is the man. All the albums he played on was killer.

16. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    He was definately using a Spector when I saw him on the tour for NMT and Ozzmosis (when he was filling for Geezer). The amps were tall and black and I couldn't see a logo, but I'd guess some kind of Ampeg through an 810.

17. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    I'VE SEEN HIM USE WARWICKS AND SPECTORS(MAINLY WARWICKS)

MIKE STARR WAS A SPECTOR GUY...

18. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Not to jab the spector lovers or the warwick lovers... but aren't the streamers and spectors as close to the same instrument as 2 companies make?!?

19. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    warwick had to pay spector for that.

20. Just wanted to say I am looking at the liner notes from Ozzy's Greatest Hits and there is a commentary for each song. " Mike Inez had just joined the band and he was just jamming the riff ( the bass run) and it just seemed to come from nowhere. I remember I was very drunk and sitting in the corner of the studio and I just blurted out that's it we'll do it. The song came toghether very quickly and it became the title song on the album"
    Mike is credited along with others for writing the song and is named as the bass player for the recording.
    Phil Sousan also wrote and recorded on The Ultimate Sin album.
    Bob Daisy Recorded and wrote on
    Blizzard of OZZ
    Diary of a Mad Man
    Bark at the moon
    No rest for the wicked