Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Kinal - Dream bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XavierG, Dec 16, 2001.

1. A fitting finale to my ongoing saga - my quest for the ultimate fretless. I payed a visit to local luthier, Mike Kinal, yesterday. I toured his shop and witnessed the construction process for one of the most beautiful basses I'd laid eyes on... an MK21. Mike then led me to another room, and as I stepped in the door, there against one wall was a freshly finished tobacco sunburst MK21. What a beautiful thing it was! It was love at first sight. Mike let me play the bass for a while... although this one was not a fretless, I immediately realized that I was holding a work of art. The quality was impeccable. The sound, well...... angelic! I found my bass.... finally.

Check out Mike's site @ http://www.kinal.com The MK21 pictured there is not in the same configuration as the one I played, which had 2 jazz pickups and 3 jazz-type volume/tone knobs. Also, the tuners were the larger Fender butterfly type. The burst was more 'yellowish'. I'll see if I can get Mike to email me a pic for me to post here.

I'm in love.

Here's a pic of Chris Tarry's (w/ Vancouver's Metalwood) new MK21, configured differently. Also a beauty!

[​IMG]

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I want one myself. But I want everything.

I'm glad you found what you've been looking for! :)

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I LOVE Kinal's basses! Great choice! How many strings did you get?

If I could fine a used one cheap....ooohhhh man.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Me too, Angus.

That's the first painted finish I've seen and I like it too.

5. check out the semi hollow one on bunnybass in the pretty basses section.

6. Angus - I'm getting a 5-string.

The finish on the bass I played was what really struck me. It was so... well... glasslike. So perfect. The man is truly an artist. By the way, the prices as listed on his site are in Canadian $. Very very reasonable.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    BTW, that one pictured w/ pickguard isn't an MK21, it's an MK5. MK5's have 24 frets, MK21's have 21. Which one are you getting?

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Get outta here! Are you kidding me?

9. i have to get one of those. according to my calculations that mk21 is only around 2000 bucks american. i could be off because i suck at math but not too far off.

10. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    They are beauties. X are you SURE (double sure) those are Canadian prices? I could get a 5 for around $1000 if that's the case.

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Congrats Xavier, it surely looks nice. :)

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mike makes some great stuff, and based on the quality vs. other boutique makers, it is underpriced. But he's gaining a great reputation, so I'm sure that these great prices will start going up pretty soon.

13. Angus - According to Mike, Chris' new Kinal is an MK21. The MK5's have a wider body. The beauty of Kinal's basses is that he will work with you and construct the bass according to your specs (within certain guidelines).

paleale - Yep, them be Canadian dollars. I got confirmation from Mike yesterday.

Voodoo - Hate to break it to you, but you need a calculator. It actually works out to about US$1250.

Check 'em out. Send him email... and tell him I sent you.

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    it seems a great bass for a great price! which pickups (brand and model) did you chose?

15. wait i meant the price for the semi hollow electric was around 2000 bucks american.

16. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i emailed bunnybass about the fretless a few hours after they posted an ad on bassgear but somebody had got to it first. sure did piss me off because i wanted that one. somebody got to that one quick!

17. Finally! A Canadian luthier who makes stuff I like and at a great price! I guess I better start saving!

18. Actually, he's been building guitars & basses for about 30 years now.

19. Ya, been checking out Mike's basses, they are really nice, and really reasonable priced. Played a fretless 4 at Bass Northwest in Seattle. It was real plain, but a nice woody look (swamp ash body and pau ferro board), and it played and sounded like a dream. After my 6 string arrives the next thing will likely be an SK5-B fretless or the DK5-B fretless with sound chambers.

Oh and his prices are in Canadian Dollars on his website. I didn't believe it at first but when he quoted me on an SK5-B two weeks ago it blew my mind when he said $2450 CDN. That was with a bunch of options, the bass price(pun) was $1700.

Kinal has got to be one of the best buys out there. The thing is you gotta look for it. I only know of 2 dealers, NYC Guitar Boutique and Bass Northwest.

Anyway, that bass ought to be awesome, Xavier, post some pics if you get a chance.

Geoff

20. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada
    Mike is a heck of a nice guy, too! He's very accommodating and wants to please. His basses are one of the best kept secrets in Canada. And guitars for that matter.