Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Levine

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Acacia, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have been groovin to alot of Triumph lately. Mike was no showboat-bada$$, but he laid down some great little grooves. I am getting some good workouts and stretches with this stuff.

I will also mention that Triumph is in my top 10 all-time fave bands. I know all their songs on drums (used to practice to them), I am going to try and learn all of their bass lines. gimme a few years, I'll let you know when I am done! hahaha

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    back in the 80's, my cover band used to play about 6 or 7 triumph tunes. that band was made by rik emmett. we did a LOT of rush too, and we always sorta looked at triumph as rush's little dysfunctional brother. the songs that gil moore would right would roundly "suck" (at least from our perspective - too much "rock and roll" open hihat nonsense) and the songs that rik would write were great.

mike levine produced most of their stuff. not an especially great or creative bass player, though, which is a shame since there was definitely room for it in their band, with rik and all. then again, gil moore wasn't exactly "mr tightness" on the kit either. still though, blinding light show, just a game, suitcase, hold on, never surrender, fight the good fight, magic power, fantasy and others were all great fun to play live, and punctuated our "russian maiden"(rush n' maiden ;)) sets quite nicely.

just had to stay away from those "gil moore" songs like american girls and young enough to cry :p :D

still listen to just a game, allied forces and never surrender fairly regularly.

3. Mike did a fine job certainly. There's lots of good playing on all sorts of old albums by lots of bands. I'm quite happy to hear a good solid bass part played well and Mike certainly did that. :)

On another note - I heard that Mike Levine appeared as a contestant on Jeopardy a few years back - not Celebrity Jeopardy, just the regular one. :) He guess he's just another of the forgotten Canadian former rock stars.

Anybody remember Rick Santers? He was a great guitar player, singer and songwriter fronting his own band. Another great that never quite hit the big time. He did also work with Triumph near the end of Rik Emmett's time with the band. He was a fourth musician for live shows.

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I met him last year, what a great guy. I told him how much I like his playing, he seem happy about that. He is not playing much anymore, he is still in the business though. He produce record and he is working for a studio in Toronto.
    My favorite Mike Levin track is "time goes by". Listen to his groove when Rick is taking the solo. Not hard to play but i like it so much.

5. Hey Sean,I didn't get to meet them like Yvon did.(Good for you dude!) I did see them on the Thunder 7 tour.It was a rockin' concert.BTW, Reg and I went to that show,that ought to tell how old we are(OOOpppppssss) You already know that.

6. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Damn! Rick Santers!!
    My old band(15 years ago) used to cover "Baby Blue".

We also used to open up with "Tear the Roof Off" by Triumph. Yes, Mike was no showboat, but indeed a solid player.

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but watching Triumph's performance at the US Festival prompted me to do a search here. Mike's live tone with that Jazz bass just kills!

8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Always liked Triumph. Levine is a better bassist than people give him credit for. Great timing and always plays what is right for the song.