For Sale/Trade Mike Lull-Assembled PJ bass--vintage body, USACG neck, Fralins, Ultralites...

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by kittyboy, Aug 22, 2019.

1. kittyboy

kittyboy Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Price:
    Strings:
    I bought this bass from a guy in West Seattle about 11 years ago, and it was my #1 for about 8 years, until I switched to jazz-width necks (and bought the Pelican bass I have listed in the classifieds).

This build began with just the body. The previous owner had inherited a bass from his dad, and brought it to Mike and asked him to restore it into a classic P-bass. The budget was $1500. The bass had been modified, and it had a neck issue, so they ended up using nothing but the body.

Mike ended up billing $1499 in parts and labor, this was in around 2006 or so. I used to have a digital copy of the receipt, but I can no longer find it. Hopefully the guy who sold me the bass will chime in--maybe he still has a screenshot of it. "Chris Herr" is written on the butt of the neck. Does anyone happen to know Chris? I don't have our correspondence anymore, and I couldn't find him via search.

I'd appreciate any and all help identifying/verifying the parts on this bass. One shop thought the body was from a '74 P, and another shop thought it might be a '75, but neither saw the neck pocket. The pickups were listed as 5%-underwound Fralins on the now-lost receipt, but I see no Fralin markings. If Mike was ordering a custom set directly from Lindy is it possible that there wouldn't be "Fralin" stickers on the back? Or maybe Lindy wasn't using stickers in 2006? Any thoughts on pickups are welcome.

The bridge is very nice, but I can't remember the brand. (I've owned lots of basses and am a medium nerd, but I'm not an expert of different brands of parts etc). The tuners are Hipshot Ultralites, and they work great. The neck is USACG--not sure how to prove that, but it's obviously of very high quality. It feels like it's been hand worked to me--I've owned pre-CBS Ps before, and this neck feels vintage and worn-in to me. I think Mike did some handwork on the neck and refinned it, but I don't know that for sure. I love the pickguard that Mike chose--I think the bass is very cool looking. Controls are VBT. Nut width is a hair under 1 & 3/4, I'd call it 1 & 23/32.

It's currently wearing a very worn-in and buttery set of TI flats. Randy Parsons set it up for slightly higher action after I got it. To my mind, it plays/sounds vintage and classy. Tone is warm and pillowy, like JJ or Duck, which is what I was going for (some of that is attributable to the worn-in TI flats of course). I never stopped loving this bass--I just switched to narrower necks, and then to short-scale narrower necks after I turned 50.

I realize that the provenance is a little murky. Hopefully someone knows Chris, or y'all can identify all the parts. Another potential means of identification: the heel has "12175" written on it, which I figure is the repair # from the shop, so if anyone is close enough to Mike to ask him, please feel free to do so.

It's priced a little high for a parts bass, because it's a Mike Lull creation. It seems a shame to part it out and put asunder what Mike hath joined, but if provenance can't be proven then I'll probably keep the pickups and sell everything else separately.

TIA for help with identification.

Asking $1750. Very limited trades--MAS 1.8s, or Fender Acoustasonic Telecaster.

I'll be driving north with it in a couple days, from Sacramento to Seattle. I'd be happy to pull off the freeway and demo/deliver it.

P1100356.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Ray H. likes this.
  2. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    The body looks early 70's Fender except for the truss adjustment cavity. ... It could have been rerouted and painted black? ... Maybe a pic of the body routing without the pickguard might help.

kittyboy likes this.
  3. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    That looks like a USA Custom Guitars neck. They're very nice

kittyboy likes this.
  4. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    I totally believed ya
    Didn’t have to take it apart.
    Ha ha
    Killer bass!!!!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021