Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Lull Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DiazRomero, Mar 21, 2005.

1. DiazRomero

DiazRomero

Jun 25, 2004
    Moss Beach, CA
    I'd like to hear from any Mike Lull players. I'm thinking of getting an MV5 and would like to hear some comments and opinions. :cool:

2. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Excellent basses IMO. Playability and tone is outstanding. The necks and fretwork are top notch to where you can get super nice low action from top to bottom ... anyway that's the way the two of mine are. I also had a Modern5 that performed the same way but I traded it off and still regret it to this day. Weight on both of mine are medium I'd say, about 9.0 lbs each ... both have Alder bodys. On the other hand, the Modern5 was Swamp Ash with Maple top but it was more in the light-weight catagory and just a super comfortable bass to play.

The P-4 has Fralins and the Jazz has DiMarzio Model J's. They both wear TI Jazz Flats ... of course :D

Good Luck!

Attached Files:

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I had a Modern 5 with Duncan Custom single coils and the bartolini pre. Fantastic bass. I'll echo that the fretwork, setup, and finish were top notch, as was the tone. I think is is wild that it had amazing vintage type tone in passive mode, and would nail everything from hard rock to slap tone with the preamp.

I'm kinda weird, because I felt that the bass was "over my head"... If I was a better player it would have been great, but as it is I am just as happy with a solid Pbass and a good setup. I knew I would miss the Lull, and I was right.

Pete

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Funny that you post this thread now... I just took my Modern 5 to the local Fedex place to be shipped out to the guy I sold it to.

It was a very nice bass (especially in the looks department, see here), but it just wasn't my thing. I found it much too trebly for my tastes, even with flats. I replaced the stock pickups with Barts, and they helped, but it still wasn't the tone I was looking for. It played very well, but I didn't care for the feel. It had a maple fretboard and pretty large frets, which I now know is opposite of what I prefer.

I ended up buying a Spector NS-JH5 (the bass on the right in that pic) and I like it much better. But it's just a matter of personal taste, I guess... The Lull wasn't a bad bass by any means.

5. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I can't say enough about the quality of this bass. Beautifully balanced, everything functions perfectly, really quality components.
    As you can see, butterscotch quilted maple top ..mahogony back. Bartolini soapbars, Bartolini electronics, vol..vol..stacked tone knobs.
    Passive/Active switch.
    The neck is fast, responsive truss rod..
    Using D'Addario Chromes Flats.

Its all good.
    I am looking for its fretted brother. :D

I am having problems attaching pictures, but if anyone wants, I will email pictures.

6. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I'm really into Mike Lull Modern 5 as well, but how much does a brand new cost? :confused:

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    They're very under-rated basses IMO. They're right up there with Sadowsky in terms of craftmanship. I prefer the Sadowsky simply because I prefer the 34' scale for 5 strings, but other than that, I would rank them really even. The only downside that I can see on Lulls is that the resale isn't very good. This is good or bad depending on what side of the fence you're on. If you're looking for a great used value, I would highly suggest the Lull.

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Glad to see I'm not the only one that prefers 34" 5ers. (I know there are a few of us here in TB-land).
    -Bazz-

9. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    The MV5 is an asskicking" axe for sure,and the neck is nice,and sleek not to mention there a few choices of pickups and electronics to choose from and as far as craftsmanship it's right there with the Sadowsky,although the Sadowsky may have a little more "punch IMO.

10. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I wouldn't say in all circumstances the Sadowsky has more punch. It really depends on the electronics you choose. I've owned two Lulls that were on both sides of the tonal spectrum. The M5 had the Basslines p-ups and Bart NTMB and packed tons of punch and growl. The MV5 had Fralins and the NTMB, and that bass had zero punch and really lacked something in the low-end. So it really depends on which system you have in the Lull. I've heard that Mike is now offering as an upgrade the Nordstrand single-coils, and from what I've heard, the Nordstrand equipped Lulls growl like crazy, and you can also get the Aguilar pre's in those too which should make them really comparible to Sadowsky in terms of tone.

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I guess that old "suggestive" technique of whispering in someone's ear while they're asleep really does work! :D Mike is in the process of trying out a few different Nordstrand models as wel speak. So far, he seems to really like the NJ4SEs and just installed them in his own M4V. Still no word on the NP4, but the feedback is pretty good so far. ;)

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've had my Lull five string for over four years....my favorite bass! I don't sell my basses, so I don't worry about resale, but I have seen a few very nice used ones going for a good price. Up there with Sadowsky IMHO :cool:

13. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    The MV5 that you mention was the one I got to try,and that was my basis (no pun intended) for suggesting that the MV5 Sadowsky was a little punchier,however I would like to try the new Mike Lulls with the Nordtrand pups/Aguilar pre,because I think this will make them comparible in the tone department.

14. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    How do the Lull 5 string necks compare with Sadowsky's? I hear the Sadowsky necks are a bit on the chunky size of things.

15. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Yes, that's exactly right...the Sadowsky necks certainly have a bigger feel to them. The Lull felt slimmer to me, but not too thin, just right. I believe the string spacing on Sadowskys are slightly wider as well, but not by much. I believe the Lull spacing is just under 19mm.

16. I have a M5V that is killer. Unfortunately I am rather short (5'6") and the longer scale (combined with 2 1/2 hour sets with a corporate band) has caused my tendonitis to re-occur. It's not the fault of the bass- it's the fault of the player. I'm getting a Sadowsky 5 with a 34" scale to help (hopefully!) remedy the situation. As a result, I am selling my Lull. PM or email if anyone is interested.
    Does anyone here have experience with the M5V and a Sadowsky Metro 5? I am interested in how the necks compare size-wise. I'm pretty sure the 34" scale will solve this as my last 5 string was 34".

Attached Files:

17. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I feel your pain. I'm starting to have problems with my hands because of all the typing i have to do combined with 10+ years of battering from martial arts, and classical guitar. Each twinge of pain makes me want less strings and a shorter scale. (I play a 6 string with 35" scale)

A Lull P with nordie pickups might be my next G.A.S. attack :D

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I owned a Lull P5 for awhile. Excellent bass! Fit and finish were outstanding, and considering this the price of a Lull is very reasonable.

The neck was indeed very slim... slimmer than my Modulus Q5, in fact. With the satin finish it had a very "fast" feel.

I can't speak for Lull's Jazz-style fivers, but the P5 had 17mm spacing at the bridge. In fact that was the only reason I sold the Lull and ordered the Sadowsky P5... I simply prefer 19mm bridge spacing. Scale length on the Lull was 35" and the Sadowsky is of course 34". That's not much of a factor for me; I'm comfortable on either scale. That said, I prefer more of a vintage tone and I believe 34" offers a smidge more of that.

19. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I just spoke with Roger at the Lull shop last week, and he said that their standard string spacing on 5's is 19mm. Actually is slightly narrower, but he said it's right at that 19mm number. I didn't ask specificly about the P5 spacing, so I can't say for sure what that width is, but the M5 and the MV5 spacing is just under the 19mm mark. It wouldn't make much sense to make the spacing different on the P5s, but you never know.

20. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I happened to find a pic of my Lull M5

[​IMG]

man, what a killer bass.....