Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Lull Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akajuve400g, Aug 20, 2000.

1. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    Looking at a bassplayer magazine and saw an ad for a giveaway with a mike lull bass. Are these good basses. What kind of sound do you get from these basses? They had a pretty expensive retail price. 2000 I think.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Mike makes a very nice, Jazz bass inpired bass. Retail is retail, who pays that? :D

3. Mike is my bass tech, and he gets everything out of my Ric and Jazz, that's for sure :) I've played lots of his basses in his shop, and they are of premium quality. You'll have to look high and low to find better necks, fretwork, finish, and electronics. His basses play incredibly well. His five stringers are terrific as well, with a very good sounding B. By and large, his basses have a pretty modern sound, lots of fidelity and punch. Absolutely tops for slappers. His Vintage series yield very nice J sounds, too. His basses are worth the money; it's just a LOT of money for most people to come up with. I'd rank his quality up there with Lakland, Sadowsky, and Modulus.

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I've heard many great stuffs about Mike Lull basses!! Try them out :)

DM

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    oh yes.. no one pays retail price anymore :) any store will carry like AT LEAST 15% lower than retail price.. REtail Price = MSRP
    DM

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    15%?? If you aren't getting at least 25%, you aren't looking hard enough. Ed at Gelb Music gives good discounts and better bass brand knowlege. (650)365-8878. He carries Lull, lakeland, Modulus, Zon(and the Lightwave), Smith, F Bass, and a few others as well as the standard stuff. Ed likes the Lulls too. Tell him Andrew referred ya.

7. Gelb Music, and Ed in particular, are as good as music stores get, IMHO.

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I'm a Lull and Lakland dealer located North of San Francisco and sell either at 30% off retail price. Let me know what you want and I'd be happy to help you out! I love them!

9. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I own a Lull Modern 5. I got the bass in a trade and the neck was unstable. I'd get it adjusted and playing fine and then it would start buzzing. I talked to Mike Lull about it and he replaced the neck free of charge even though I was not the original owner. He stands behind his basses.

Mine has a swamp ash body with a nice flame maple top, Seymour Duncan single coils and Bartolini electronics. It sounds very much like a 5 string jazz bass should except it has the versatile tone controls.

I don't think it will be too long before the word gets out and players will consider Lull basses to be the equal of the Lakland and Sadowsky. The bass is that good.

Chuck

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I agree Chuck. Laklands seem to be getting on equal footing with Sadowsky, I don't think the Lulls are far behind.