Mike Lull jazz vs Sadowsky jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Feb 21, 2001.

1. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    For those of you who have had an opportunity to play both,
    Which is the better bass, a Mike Lull or Sadowsky, and why?

2. I never played a Lull but I'm only 110% thrilled with my Sadowsky jazz bass (swamp ash, maple board).
  3. TT

Feb 14, 2001
    played a sadowsky and truely fell in love with it :)
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Never seen a Lull in person.

I have played one Sadowsky and can honestly say that it was the best bass that I have ever played.
  5. Hey guys, RS asked for opinions from people who have played BOTH a Lull and a Sadowsky, not one or the other.
    Of course, I've played neither.. :rolleyes:
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've played both (of course...I've played everything:))

They're different and I'm not dodging the issue but "better" is highly subjective, actually way too subjective for me. Which did "I" like more?... the Sadowsky. Not that the Lulls I've played were in any way lacking, just different.

Sonically I like my MIA JD5 more than my Lakland...go figure.
  7. Harry

Dec 12, 2000
    I've played both.

The Lull is a FINE bass - and the Sadowsky is finer.

The company that makes the body and neck for both Lull and Sadowsky is THE SAME! I kid you not! So it is a safe guess that they should play more or less the same, no? Well, it was clear to me that there is extra detail taken with Sadowsky on each bass - and that follows, since Roger doesn't produce nearly the number that Mike does.

Also, Lull uses commercially available pickups and preamps, where Rog uses his own stuff that has a "certain sound" - you know what I'm talkin' about - - so if you gotta have THAT SOUND, then you gotta pay the bux.

That said, since you can get a SWEET Lull new for about $1000 less than a similar Sadowsky, I vote Lull.

But I'd love to have a Sadowsky too!
  8. Possibly true but misleading. These two luthiers may have their basses sent to the same people for CNC routing. But Roger has his own custom CNC specs for his basses and hand picks each piece of wood for tone, often discarding many billets. Sadowsky instruments are more than just custom electronics; they really ring out and have great sweet tone which is due to a marriage of great woods, manufacturing, and e'tronics. I.e., the art of luthiery.
  9. Just got a Sadowsky 4. I would liked to have tried a Lull first, but couldn’t find one in the UK.
    Having said that, I am very, very satisfied with my Sadowsky and it is without doubt the best bass I have ever owned for playability, sound, feel and looks.
  10. Well, I've never played a Sadowsky but....

I love my Mike Lull Vintage 4. IMHO it's a top quality instrument that looks, plays and sounds great. It's my current favorite out of all my basses although I would love to get a chance to play a Sadowsky or a Lakland just to see how they'd match up.

My $0.02.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Harry, the company that made the bodies and necks for EB3's and later Tobiases is the same. Would it be a safe guess that they should play more or less the same?

CNC does not mean identical for all manufacturers, it still produces whatever design is programmed into it. If the Lull and Sadowsky are based on the exact same program and measurements, made from the same wood, have the same hardware and setup, sure, they may play alike. I didn't find that to be true and the difference was not purely electronics. YMMV
  12. I've played both. The Sadowsky just has some sort of "magic" to it that puts it head and shoulders above any traditional style bass I've ever played. I'm not sure if I'd ever buy one, though I'm sorely tempted.

The Lull is nice...it's very well set up and everything, but nothing screams "amazing" to me.