SOLD Mike Lull M5V - Candy Apple Red

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Thank You Leo, Dec 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Thank You Leo

Thank You Leo Gold Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    Price:
    Strings:
    I picked this up a while back in a trade. It’s a really great bass and I’ve used it every gig since I’ve gotten it. I’m finding however that the 35” scale combined with the 1 7/8” nut is a little more than I'm comfortable with.

The previous owner replaced the Lull custom wound Seymour Duncans with Nordstrands (NJ5 70's winding). The original pickups are included in the sale as is the original white pickguard. The bass has a Bartolini 3 band pre with switchable mids and a preamp bypass on the volume knob. Body is ash and the bass comes in at a very comfortable 9.0 lbs. Comes with hard case (in blonde), COA, and a hand-drawn diagram explaining the control layout. Excellent condition. From the front it basically looks new. There are four small blemishes on the bass: one on the back of the headstock, one on the bottom edge near the jack, one on the edge not far from the strap button, and one on the edge near the bottom horn (please see photos).

PayPal is preferred, but I can make other arrangements if necessary. I will only ship the bass to a US address.

I would prefer a straight sale, but I might be interested in the following +/- $$$ as appropriate.

- Sadowsky 4 or 5
    - Lull 4 or 5 string (34”)
    - Roscoe Century or LG (5 or 6)

Any trades would need to be on the lighter side, around 9.25 lbs or under.

IMG_1389_zpsy971idoz.gif

IMG_1390_zpsjbv3bhew.gif

IMG_1457_zpsguzzcfxy.gif

More photos here:http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/bluesinfidel/library/Lull%20M5V%20CAR

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Douglas Giorgiani, JLY and TalHaz like this.
  2. RedMax

RedMax It’s all success if it’s what you need. Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2011
    New England
    Oh my! Beautiful!

3. Thank You Leo

Oct 7, 2002
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    Thanks - she's definitely a looker. Sounds nice too. The neck really feels great and if you are someone who prefers a little more room on a 35" scale, this is your bass. I really enjoy playing it, but when I put it down and pick up one of my 34" scale basses, or my Roscoe which has a different neck profile, it's just more comfortable for me.

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    One of the best basses I have ever owned. And I have owned a lot of basses. I truly miss this fantastic bass.

5. Thank You Leo

Oct 7, 2002
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    It's a great bass and I like it a lot. Sounds great in a band situation and has been my #1 gig instrument since I've gotten it. I really won't be disappointed if it doesn't sell.

6. Deepend24

Deepend24 Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carver, MA
    HI there,

I have a near mint 1998 Lakland 55-94 lined fretless I would consider for an even trade. I bought it earlier this year from Martina McBride's bass player who was the original owner. It truly is pristine. I have another fretless that has become my main player so sadly this one isn't getting the playing time it should.

let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,
    John 1499634_056b6d77bda37b9de72a90612a937066.JPG

Attached Files:

Blues Infidel likes this.
  7. Thank You Leo

Oct 7, 2002
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    Please PM (start conversation) with more details, photos, etc. Thx.

8. KJAXE

KJAXE Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    FARGO, ND
    pm'd

9. Thank You Leo

Oct 7, 2002
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    Opening this back up as I am now mobile enough to ship. :)

10. kuuuks

kuuuks

Jul 22, 2010
    Any trade for a made in German Warwick Corvette $$ 5 string 8/5lbs

Attached Files:

11. Thank You Leo

Oct 7, 2002
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    Not what I'm looking for but thank you.

12. KJAXE

KJAXE Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    FARGO, ND
    Trade? - Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5...Black on black with maple fret board...excellent condition!
    (I prefer the 35")

13. Thank You Leo

Oct 7, 2002
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    I really need to stick to the basses listed, but thank you.

14. Thank You Leo

Oct 7, 2002
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    Diagram from original owner explaining control layout:

AF405B16-EE77-4B22-9A60-C7C9AE3656A6_zpssowkuezz.gif

COA

D171E409-FCED-4BA7-8C5E-BFA30B3EEA8D_zpscreycjjn.gif

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Basso Gruvitas likes this.
  15. KJAXE

KJAXE Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    FARGO, ND
    what's the weight of this bass? (I may have missed that in the posts??)

16. Thank You Leo

Oct 7, 2002
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    9.0 lbs.

17. Thank You Leo

Oct 7, 2002
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    I got a question about string spacing at the bridge. I believe this is a Hipshot 'A' bridge which allows for some adjustment of the spacing. I measured it and it is currently set at 18mm. I've never adjusted the string spacing on one of these bridges, so I'm not sure how much wider or narrower you can make it. It feels very comfortable at 18mm and aligns nicely with the fingerboard, but the option is there to adjust it if you like.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Hmm...
    Can you compare the feel of the neck and B string to a Roscoe? I'm curious.

19. Thank You Leo

Oct 7, 2002
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    To me, Roscoe sets the standard for what a B string should sound like. The B on this Lull is probably the best of any jazz type 5 I've played. The B is nice and solid and blends well with the other strings - sounds great on the gig.

I believe the standard nut width for a Roscoe 5 is 1 3/4". The Lull is 1 7/8". The Lull also feels like it has a slightly thinner profile. The first thing you notice when you pick up this bass is how light it feels. The second thing is how nice the neck feels. Compared to my Century 5, the neck feels wider and thinner, and the Roscoe feels narrower and rounder. IME if you also play a lot of four string and struggle at all switching to 5's and back (like I do), the spacing on the Lull definitely feels more natural.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  20. funkyjudge

funkyjudge Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA

I am the original owner of this fine Mike Lull bass (I bought it brand-new from Bass Specialties in Bensalem, PA), and that is MY hand-drawn sketch with the control layout description. If it had a 34" scale length and slightly narrower neck/nut width, I would still own and play this bass. It is a GREAT instrument!!! Although the 35" scale length is just a bit too long for me, it does give the B-string an absolutely monstrous tone (the E-string, too)!

deependmusicllc likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021