Mike Lull M5V tone vs ZON Sonus Studio V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by De Teng, Jul 16, 2004.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    How to choose?

With some luck and within a few weeks a perhaps will be able to afford one of these basses, mentioned above. Anybody who has experience with one of those two basses, give feedback please?

Both have specific tone... when I played both on the same amp (Aguilar DB750) I was pleased by both. The only point could be... the Zon could be too complex (bass, treble, mid flat/mid boost/mid+high boost - controls for each pickup) and the Mike Lull too 'wet'. (e.g. Too much Marcus M. tone-like and not having the dry feeling with the bit of a jazz)

I was wondering how you people feel about it, which 'investment' could be the best or worst.. -if there is really a bad one ;)- ? Thanks in advance, I appreciate every opinion or kind of feedback!
  2. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    i have a 3 band eq with sweepable midrgange... that`s 6 knobs (2 stacked, but still 6:)... i plan to add two emg`s tw, so that`s 2 switches more. further down the road, i`m thinking about piezo.

i don`t think it will be to complex. i barely use the eq, but it`s there when it`s needed. i usually play with everything totally flat - just my RH technique and pickups balance as far as tone shaping goes. but it`s not enough sometimes. no rocket sience here.
  3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I own both Lull and Zon basses, and all I can say is that they are two of my favorite builders, so you really can't go wrong on a choice. If you're looking for that "classic" sound, I'd say your best choice is to go with the Lull. If you're looking for something that can do a bit of everything, I'd say go with the Zon. Zons to me seem to hold their value a bit better if that makes any difference.
  4. I've owned a couple of Lulls and one Zon. If you're not going to keep the bass, get the Zon, it has better resale value. The Lull sounds more organic, earthy, and beefy (depending on woods). The Zon is hifi, yet warm, if that makes sense.
  5. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Thank you guys. Sometimes I need the quite vintage feeling. Sometimes we are (speaking as the band) quite progressive. A more hifi sound, with serious bottom (which has the ZON I believe) could be a very good choice. The financial point could be of some advantage. More thoughts? Please share. ;)
  6. I've owned both a Zon and a Lull personally. I grew tired of the "sterile" sound of the Zon. It was a bit too edgey on songs that I wanted more warmth, and I couldn't really dial up the sound I needed. But it was a Sonus IV with the phenowood fingerboard and 2 single coil j-pups. The Lull can be made warm and woody, but can also acheive a very biting, edgey, slappy tone.....much more vintage sound.

A lot also depends on the look/vibe that you want.

As Gene stated (aka: halftooth), you can't go wrong on either.

7. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    You could always get the Zon with a more simple eq. Maybe buy that one and get the guys at Zon to swap in a new eq, or just order a different bass from them. I love them, can't talk about the Lull but the bassist from Late Night with Conan O'Brien gets great tone from his, his bass really cuts through.
  8. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    The ZON (studio V) at the store has fantastic Bartolini custom pickups and electronics. Everything is maximum quality and sound, all that you in fact wish for. It is a bit more expensive (yet still a bargain!) than the Mike Lull M5V.

It is dryer than the Mike Lull I believe (which I sometimes adore, but sometimes do not want to use) and our band has typical organic/analogue sound. May be that could say the Lull would be more suitable?

(The guitarist for example has an all tube Bonneville Trace Elliot head, with anologue delay 90's pedal. We constantly improve the sound and keep trying to give its organic character more depth. (folks, what a sentence :rolleyes: ))

The whole problem with testing is (off course) it is always too short. You really get to know the instrument within the next weeks/months... that's why I want to get rid of the Warwick I recently bought. Now I know a bit what I want (or what I don't want) I try to choose the 'perfect' bass for me. It will be my last piece I'm going to buy, so it has to be great.