1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mike Lull & Nitro Finishes

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Jan 9, 2012.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I had somebody ask whether Mike Lull offers a nitro finish, and then I promptly forgot who asked me. So here's an info blast to TB at large! Yay - everyone wins!

The answer is "yes", you can get a Lull with a nitro finish. However, it does add to the cost and build time. Paul @ Lull estimates a $600 upcharge to do a nitro finish. I was gonna say "yowsa", but then I realized that's exactly what I happily paid for the block inlays on my Lull neck... so it's probably worth it to somebody out there!

I think it was Brian down in TX who asked me the question originally, but I don't know how to contact Brain (he always calls me)... hopefully you see this, Brian!

2. See, that one doesn't surprise me. Sounds a bit cheap, if anything. Of course, environmental considerations outside of California are probably much less restrictive, so I'm likely the one who is off there. Assuming Lull hasn't changed finishers, I'd have 100% confidence in a quality finish.

Of course, IMO, it's with good reason - beyond the environment - that nitrocellulose is no longer in widespread use. I'm too CDO to deal with checking and yellowing...and a nice hard poly clearcoat does wonders to prevent small dings.

I'll shut up now.

3. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Bismarck, ND
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Manager - Zon Guitars
    I think it was me who asked... Gears still turning... Agh!!!

4. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    ^^ Awesome, I'm glad you got the info. Sorry for my brain fart!

5. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    Bump- Mike still offer nitro? If so- what is the cost/up charge?

6. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I would assume yes, and it's still probably about $600 List. It may have gone up slightly since the last time I posted. If you have a set of specs you're looking to build, I'd be happy to get more exact in the process of quoting the bass.

Cheers,
    Greg

7. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    +1,000,000