Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Lull P-5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mojo-Man, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Have always wanted a 5-string p-bass.
    After reading review in new Bass Player, the one with Sir Paul on cover. I called Mike about ordering a P-5.
    To make long story, short. Mike sold me the bass reviewed in bass player. At a great price.
    Bass
    Swamp Ash Body
    Natural finish
    Maple Neck
    Birdseye maple fingerboard.
    35" scale.
    Bassline P-style pickup.
    This is one sweet bass.
    Everything you want from a Percision, plus a great sounding B-string.
    I love the neck shape, Fender C- 1 7/8 at nut.
    Great for finger and pick playing.
    I've never played a Sadowski P-5. and there great basses too.
    But for the money, the Lull can't be beat.

2. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    Nice work! I have two of them. An alder/maple and an alder/rosewood. Both have a J pickup too. The rosewood is probably going on the auction block. I only need one and the green one is my favorite. The nicest basses I've ever played.

They really do exist.[​IMG]

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I've played FuzzBass' Sadowsky P5 and it was a great bass. Well balanced, excellent fretwork, and amazing amounts of low end. It's a real nice 5 string P.

I'm expecting a Lull PJ5 next month, and I'm dying to check that out. If it's anything like the Lull M4 I have then I'm sure I'm gonna love it.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Mojo-Man,
    Congrats on the new Lull! :hyper: I've been extremely impressed with all of the P5s I've played, and on a related note, I just got in the first Lull with blocks and binding and LOVE it. It's on it's way to a very lucky new member of the Mike Lull club. ;)

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I owned a Lull P5 for a few years, and now own the Sadowsky. They're both excellent basses. I have to say that the Lull is a better bargain, but I chose the Sadowsky because I prefer its slightly chunkier neck profile, and I also think 34" scale sounds slightly more traditional than 35". Honestly I wish I could've kept them both, but I couldn't afford the Sadowsky w/o selling the Lull.

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003

7. John Coxtosen

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    The maple one is alot snottier than the rosewood. The growl is a little higher in the mids and more immediate. More snap.

The rosewood has a darker, low mid grunt. Not quite as responsive as the maple. But the difference there is so minimal.

At stage volume the difference is really small. You can hear it when you slap or pick hard. They sound really close for the most part.

8. Fuzzbass

There, that's the way I would have explained it. :)

9. John Coxtosen

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    That might have been the way I would have explained it if one of my basses was ash. :D

10. Fuzzbass

Doh!!! I've been reading too many Sadowsky Metro threads! :eek:

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a Lull V5 that I love, I hope to add a P5 in the near future...............great basses :bassist: